VP8SGI

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K4LRX, Jan 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the official word from the primary pilot station...

AC6BW likes this.
  2. W3ON

W3ON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Roger
    Wow, thanks for the antenna information. I definitely am going to read up on that information. I hadn't considered take off angles too much, although a friend of mine on the phone yesterday suggested that may be the phenomena that I am experiencing. Hi Hi.

Ahhha, I see via the OPDX bulletin, that the VP8SGI team have returned to The Bravehart due to a heavy snow storm. Their chief pilot, stated that the team has announced that they have finished their dxpedition. although they are going wait for a break in the weather to go and get their equipment. According to the South Georgia web site, they should have decent weather either tomorrow February 8th or on the 9th to collect their gear and leave. Unfortunately I am assuming that the ATNO operation didn't do much. I did manage to work them on 30 meters cw last evening February 6th (unconfirmed). I guess I won't know for sure, as they have also announced that the last online log upload will be on their return to the Falkland Islands. I wonder if any of them will get a change to work cw from the Falklands as their is not much cw operations. We will see about that.

I just want to wish the team, and the crew of The Bravehheart at safe trip home.

Funny thing, I thought that they were mostly living in tents. According to a South Georgia web site, and its webcam, their are buildings on that island. I thought that the island was uninhabited. Apparently that is not true as their are other settlements on South Georgia. Their apparently is some sort of UK authority folks who run the operations there. The webcam on their web pages shows at least four radio antennas in its view.

73 de Chuck W3ON

AC6BW likes this.
  3. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tnx Chuck. The VK0EK Heard Island DXpedition that is coming up in March has used the HFTA program to select their operating site. It really is a useful tool. You didn't mention how high your beam is installed above the ground. Adjusting the height, if possible, may realize some improvement in elevation angle response. I hope you get a good confirmation on the 30m QSO with VP8SGI. GL, 73, Roger

4. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chuck, You are in the VP8SGI log for 20m and 17m SSB QSOs. Congrats!

5. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like I will out of luck for the ATNO!:confused:

Roger KK6IVD

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I continued to monitor them on 10105 after QSO @ 0215z.

Here's how that went:

0215z QSO,
    0318z QRT STORM

//due to "LID" on their frequency, they shifted down to 10104.8 for their final hours//

0435z back on-the-air
    0630z off again

0732z back on
    0746z QRT for good.

Sure sounds as tho they made every effort to operate until it became just too dangerous.
    What a great effort by an excellent team. Well worth my $15.00 donation !! :)
    I'm sure they'll have some stories to tell !!

Now the wait for the final logs !!! (he crosses fingers for ATNO)

"Fair winds & following seas Braveheart"

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    NZ5F likes this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was lucky enough to finally work them on Saturday afternoon (local time), before the storm hit. ATNO plus insurance.

This was a few hours after their daily upload to ClubLog.

Word was that they would not do a final log upload to Club Log until they returned to the Falklands.

I did a routine upload to Club Log a short while ago, and much to my surprise, there the confirmations were.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, they met their goal of 80k contacts at SGI. Heck of a good job by this crew. Even moreso given the harsh conditions.

AC6BW likes this.
  9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos to that team - great effort under ugly conditions. Sorry to see them have to pull the plug early I know a lot of ops still needed them.

10. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

in the log.......