VOX or PTT for digimodes?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by PA3LS, Feb 5, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. PA3LS

PA3LS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am building a little galvanically isolated interface for my TRX.
    The TRX has vox with adjustable sensitivity and anti trip.

For modes like PSK31 and some others, does VOX work fast enough to avoid the first character sent being mangled?

I could include an optocoupler for PTT into the interface, but all in all it would be a bit of a hassle, and if VOX works well i would prefer to use that.

KF5KWO likes this.
  2. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd recommend using a HW PTT instead of VOX.
    That way you avoid the risk of accidentally transmitting garbage when ever the PC makes sounds that and the sounds accidentally goes to the output device that's connected to the radio.

K3RW and K6LPM like this.
  3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use VOX and have not had any issues from random PC sounds. It works fast enough.
    If you are really worried about the first character, start with some nulls (a space or two)

4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget CAT is also an option. They all have pluses and minuses and they all can work.

Personally I prefer to avoid VOX.

K3RW likes this.
  5. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

From the OP’s profile page: “Rigs: Yaesu FT-101e, AN/GRC-9, Sommerkamp Memorizer (FT-227)”
    So CAT probably isn’t an option :)

6. WB9TEN

WB9TEN Ham Member QRZ Page

The only time I tried VOX was with my TS-700A which uses an outboard VOX-3 unit. When I drove the rig hard enough to trip the VOX, it was overdriving the transmit audio. However, the VOX-3 unit is know to be a little weak and there is a mod available to increase the sensitivity. Because I don't use the VOX, I choose to add the opto isolator for PTT.

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I certainly prefer hardwired PTT.

My reason is that I'm using an RTL SDR and obviously WSJT-X. Sometimes when I'm monitoring the WSJT waterfall, I see low levels of garbage on the display. Then I realize I have covered up a window that I had been listening to, like a music or news site. It would certainly be enough to key a VOX.

K3RW likes this.