Voting

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3SAM, Oct 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

It was about 20 years ago and time to vote.  I had voted every year since I was of age, however that day I had two jobs going on, it was hot, I was tired. The local Magistrate position was a shoe in, a good friend of mine was trying to keep his position while he was challenged by the new guy in town.

With that in mind, I didn't go to the polls.  After 8 PM and the polls closed, they announced the winner of the local Magistrate position, the new guy won by one vote !  One Vote !!!

In Pennsylvania, the votes are counted several times when they are that close, however if the loser wants another forced count, he/she has to pay $300 for that service.  My friend paid the $300, the results were the same, he lost by one vote, mine.  At least if I had voted, there would have been a tie.

Why am I telling you this ?  The Atlantic Division ARRL Director position as well as the ARRL WPA Section Manger Elections are now at hand.  N3EFN and N2SS are running for Director, K3NPX and N3MSE are running for Western Pa. Section Manager.  Take the time to read your Statements from the Candidates on the reverse side of the ARRL Circulars and take the time to vote.  If you are an ARRL member, you should have received them by now in the mail. I'm sure they would appreciate it.  My vote has been sent in, how about yours ?

73, Sam
    K3SAM

2. wb6bcn

wb6bcn Ham Member QRZ Page

The belief that "My one vote doesn't count" was very evident in that example. One vote can make a big difference. There was a presidential election I remember that they said that 1 vote more per precint the other person would have been elected. And let us not forget the last presidential election. I won't go into that any further.
    Yes: First thing this morning, before going to work, I voted. So whatever the outcome of today's election, I won't have to say "If only I had voted".
    Doug Flory
    WB6BCN

3. wb6bcn

The belief that "My one vote doesn't count" was very evident in that example. One vote can make a big difference. There was a presidential election I remember that they said that 1 vote more per precint the other person would have been elected. And let us not forget the last presidential election. I won't go into that any further.
    Yes: First thing this morning, before going to work, I voted. So whatever the outcome of today's election, I won't have to say "If only I had voted".
    Doug Flory
    WB6BCN

4. wb6bcn

A final note: I realize the post is about ARRL elections, but I feel if you are part of a group, organization, club, whatever, and elections are forthcoming it is your duty to vote if you want help things to come about the way you think they should. Your vote in small groups or clubs are critical to the outcome. Even in large groups, organizations, or countries a small number of non-voters may have changed the outcome from prosparity to dispare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.