Volunteering with technical skills!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N6OPS, Sep 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Volunteering in an emergency.

Two main ways are, preparedness or getting ready to perform mission essential traffic, linking sites etc.
    Preparedness is done ahead of time with the buyin of the organization your helping. They won't likely buy in unless you can assure them that Amateur radio will significantly contribute to their success during emergencies. You will need to understand what they consider success, it's not always self evident. Preparedness is also getting your self ready to provide service for a couple of days. What do you need to do this.

The next is actually responding to the emergency as agreed upon or when asked, identifying what is simply needed and just simply doing it. Much easier said, than done! We have to provide consistent service, in disaster areas.

The vast majority of people in non profit leadership, do not understand the benefit of communication with amateur radio, when their smart phones fail. They have never experienced it before. The also listen to sharp dressed phone salesmen who don't make money with ham radio.

It behooves all of us to prepare ourselfs to address this in the areas we want to serve ahead of time, make those contacts now, and network to serve.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, by all means.

Contact/join your local ARES group.

3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Here we see a "Food Search Manager" who is the official Ham Officer who searches and finds the food truck or food line for the chow hound hams.

IMG_0898.jpg

Seriously, many amateurs do great work for communities and I applaud them. I also know older overweight hams can be a liability too and represent us badly to officials so it pays to know your volunteers, their limitations and abilities. As a certified fire officer and executive manager, I used hams in long duration events for things matching the skill set of volunteers. Security duty on fire parked fire apparatus (sit on the truck, call in if someone futzes with anything is one, manning the station radio, assisting support activities like icing down water, crowd control (non-hostile crowd), and other things.

I had only one volunteer ham injured. She weighed in at 350+ lbs and sat on a metal folding chair and it collapsed. She skinned her heels trying to get up. Finally half a dozen folks got her to her feet, sat her down on a firetruck tail-board, and patched up her feet. She sent home and rested.