ad: ProAudio-1

Volunteer POTA Developers Create a World Class System

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Mar 29, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_029_W8TAM_QRZThumbnail.jpg
    Parks on the Air participants have benefited from the program's impressive technological foundation. Their advanced infrastructure didn't happen by accident. Founding members W3AAX, N3VEM and W8TAM were instrumental in designing a reliable system. They (and others) executed their plan with zero budget and an entirely volunteer crew. Today, that vision is being expanded upon by a team of 15 volunteer software developers - the unsung heroes behind POTA's success. In this interview, Thom Martin, W8TAM, talks about the early, uncertain days of the now wildly successful program, the team that continues to improve the POTA system and his personal love of portable ham radio operation.

N5ILQ, UR5RBZ, CT2HGU and 21 others like this.
  2. NB8F

NB8F QRZ Lifetime Member #367 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thom is the one who renewed my interest in the hobby when we worked together. Awesome person and ham.

KE8QJV, W8TAM, NF6E and 2 others like this.
  3. VA2SS

VA2SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, « Volunteer » is a key part of many success stories, and « Volunteer » within our hobby is no exception!

The POTA team accomplished so far a huge and wonderful system to manage with efficiency many tasks to make life easier for everyone.... and especially for « Volunteer ». :)

Keep going POTA Team.... best regards 73 de Jeff | VA2SS

CT2HGU, KE8QJV, W8TAM and 3 others like this.
  4. K2ZAD

K2ZAD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The POTA program not only sets a high bar for website design, but encourages participation in radio and nature. Many amateurs that I have talked to about POTA have since become active in the program, both as hunters and activators. Wonderful job POTA! 73 de K2ZAD, Mike.

KE8QJV, W8TAM, VK3SQ and 2 others like this.
  5. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

STAY CALM AND DO POTA!!!
    BE RADIO ACTIVE!!!

KE8QJV, AE8EM, W8TAM and 4 others like this.
  6. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fell in like with POTA along with the kids back in 17-18. I can't even tell you how many times we have made great memories together, as well as all of us learning radio along with the history of the parks. We even activated 4 parks as first time activators as K1YAH, the young Atlanta Ham's youth club.

If you have had a great time with POTA, consider an occasional 5 or 10 dollar donation to them.

KE8QJV, W8TAM and W1DED like this.
  7. K2LT

K2LT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The POTA volunteer staff have done a great job and have made a genuine contribution to the hobby. Doing activations has given me a great deal of experience as an operator - learning how to "work" the bands despite challenging conditions, experimenting with setting up and constructing different homebrew portable antennas, sharpening CW skills, managing a pile-up while remaining courteous to hunters, and dealing with (ignoring) the occasional troll. Thank you, POTA staff!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2023
    KE8QJV, W8TAM, WA7RAR and 3 others like this.
  8. AD8MP

AD8MP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We can tend to take for granted the work of the men and women who make POTA possible, but with out them I can't see that this program would have ever been the success that it has been or even possible as a long term project. I would like to extend my thanks and prayers to the team members for their efforts and continued success, and I hope to be a part of this great subculture of amateur radio for many years to come. So to all my fellow operators I say: show you support financially, by activating and hunting. Now lets get out there and POTA.

KE8QJV, W1DED and W8TAM like this.
  9. N8PBJ

N8PBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had the pleasure of meeting W8TAM and his wife, Julie. They came to our club shack(K8PL) a few years ago to do MI POTA. And then caught up with them in Dayton when they hosted a seminar. Hope when they visit the U.P. of Michigan, we can do a 3 person POTA.

KE8QJV, W1DED and W8TAM like this.
  10. BH3XZT

BH3XZT Ham Member QRZ Page

作为china地区的志愿者,我一直在不遗余力的宣传及服务,目前by地区已添加了不少公园节点了