ad: tbdxc-1

Voice QSOs with the ISS Crew Going On!!!

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KD8KSN, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you try to get a QSO??

2. KD0TAZ

KD0TAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wireless routers run on 2.4GHz @ about 28mW. They aren't going to interfere with your 2m.. If you are hearing packet, that means they aren't working voice. They only do one mode at a time. ;)

3. KD8KSN

Actually, I went out the other day and was listening to packet on 145.825, and then I switched over to 145.800 (voice) and they were on. They will do them simultaneously sometimes.

4. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

The astronauts have radio licenses primarily because of educational outreach and using the ham radio to connect with schools. Some not really totally HAM savvy like we would be. He could just be checking out equipment prior to scheduled school event. Or, he could be multitasking while photographing or other reduced complexity task or down time while in the "Abovemarine". He may not have totally keyed in to the most efficient means of contacts under the bombardment of calls. In any event, some stations have apparently had a nice QSO with him. I can only wish I were so lucky.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCSJ5utSu4

K4PRP

5. KD0TAZ

KD0TAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm.. When I'm checking a pass, I have one side of my rig set to packet, and the other set to the voice. I haven't heard both simultaneously. One time it was packet at AOS, then about halfway through they pass it switched over to voice.

6. KD8KSN

7. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard Voice on this last pass. I tried to make contact but was only a 6 degree pass for me but it seems like they are favoring the west coast these days lol. But there was voice on the last pass. 145.800. 73's and good luck to all.

8. KD8KSN

Maybe you should bump your power up a little.....you may be getting completely tromped on. How much are you putting out right now?

9. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm putting out a full 50 watts on the output into a copper J-pole up in the attic. I use it for satellite contacts. I can hit any of the sat's even when there are 1 or 2 degrees below the horizon lol. But it was also late in the pass due to i was listening on the packet downlink. The last 3 passes before the Last US pass were all in packet lol.

10. KD8KSN

Okay.... I thought maybe you were putting out 5w or less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.