ad: w5yi

Voice of Korea dominating 19 meters

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KL7AJ, Jun 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

From 1989 to 1991, I was net control for all the American hams there on 2 meters each week. I was assigned the call sign HL9GN in accordance with USFK Reg 105-70 by by HQ, US Forces, Korea, APO 96301. I had an ARX-2B Ringer Ranger on top of a 20 foot pole on top of the third floor roof of my dorm on Osan AB and was putting 70 watts into a near perfect match with a pretty short RG8X run. I had American hams checking in south of Camp Humphries, so, I'm pretty sure I was heard north of the DMZ and I'm pretty sure there were some folks north of the DMZ that were recording me each week for further analysis by their "higher ups". I never received any SWL cards...

Edit: HF was tough. 100 watts. And the 10KW Japanese stations dominated the bands.

KO4ESA and N2HUN like this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I listen to "Voice of Korea" most mornings, for the music. The English of the announcers is usually too poor for me to understand what they are saying, but this may well result from the "double blind" of having the English rendered phonetically into Korean, and then read by somebody who actually doesn't speak English.

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a very rare recording of a ham from Israel in NK.

I made this recording in 2002 on 10 meters and is edited to take out most of the stations calling him.

His call is P5-4L4FN.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

We have (South)Koreans in our Church family. They say there are only a handful of amateur radio operators left in N. Korea..........and only among the elite........but they are so closely monitored that they know they would lose their lives if a negative word were spoken against country or Little Kim.

PU2OZT and KO4ESA like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be surprised if there are ANY!

6. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was surprised to hear it myself. I imagine it's used mostly like CB radio is used here so it's probably just an open ragchewing which is heavily monitored by Party officials.

7. K5ABB

K5ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, if anybody was copying legitimate P5 calls the internet would be ablaze.