ad: UR5CDX-1

Voice of America Radio Museum Tour

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an antenna switch in the background!

We got off to a little bit of a rocky start as Lee was delayed and I was a little nervous not knowing where the show would go. A big shout out to KG5AHJ, W9FFF and KD8VRX/VA2VRX for coming to rescue the day. Lee did show up and gave us an amazing discussion on parts of the museum that I had pictures of and we had a short Q&A with the audience at the end of the show.

Also a special Shoutout to M7CPT for delaying his video to give us some extra time for Lee. Be sure to check this one out.

If you're interested in a HAM SPECIFIC group tour of the museum, join TOADs discord here: https://discord.gg/tsVKqfv and let's get it setup in the #Nuggets room

Thanks and 73s
    Steve, KM9G

NF3R, M1WML, KJ7LPB and 7 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good overview, everyone should see it.

VOA antenna info

Clyde Haehnle, developed the specifications for the Voice of America antenna system at the Bethany (Ohio) Relay Station that Rhombic was 90% efficient by re-phasing the power instead of heating up termination resistors. More info

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    N8RKD, M1WML, KJ7LPB and 2 others like this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

smh

4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Shame on Lee for getting delayed throwing all of hamTV into a broadcast frenzy. HamTV, All Ham All the time. It's the QVC of Youtube. (All typed in a special sarcasm font that is not installed on many devices and most people won't recognize it). Rule number 12 of broadcasting...don't besmirch the guest.

M1WML likes this.
  5. 4L2M

4L2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I am listener of the VOA since 1974. It was very terrible Soviet Union time. VOA and Radio Liberty, - just 2 broadcasting radios in Georgian language which we excepted everyday. Thank you to VOA again

Mamuka,
    4L2M

KK6QMS, WD4ELG, M1WML and 3 others like this.
  6. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  7. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K2mz best wishes vy73DJOAJ ekrem

M1WML likes this.
  8. CAHR

CAHR QRZ Member

I'm looking forward to the TOADs tour

M1WML likes this.
  9. PY5LZ

PY5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video.

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  10. KE8JWE

KE8JWE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was great to see Lee and Jo
    It was nice to see Lee and Jocelyn in this vlog, I was a member of the WC8VOA for a while before I moved to the Crystal River FL area. and yes the museum is a fantastic place to visit. an as a bonus you can get to know some really great guys from the club. Thanks for a great video report. 73 Vic KE8JWE

M1WML likes this.
  11. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

NICE!

M1WML likes this.
  12. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my start in Ham radio from listening to VOA on the shortwave in my French Class room. I really miss Radio Canada International on the air.

K0UO likes this.
  13. AD5IN

AD5IN Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna at ~12:00 is called a Sterba Curtain. It provides a highly directional fixed pattern. Was used to beam broadcasts to specific areas of the globe.

KK6QMS and KM9G like this.
  14. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting ...
    Does anyone have any contacts that can lead to RADIO MOSCOW INTERNATIONAL (closed 1993), PROGRAM sound ARCHIVES. I had the science desk there, reply on their S.W. Science program, to a letter I sent 5 or 6 months before Chernobyl, in which I voiced my concerns re the high-likelihood of a major reactor accident in the U.S.S.R. So, that's just yesterday, high-summer 1985. They sent me a letter to my French QTH alerting me to the time of the transmission but I missed it.
    My life was chaotic at best in those days.

Radio_Moscow_QSL_card.png
    Apparently a RM Int'l QSL-card.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  15. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

there is a old VOA site in Delano Ca that has been given to the local town and no one knows what to due with it , someone should turn that into a air B&B for hams...