Voice for CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KF9VV, Nov 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a soft, warm comforting voice. A wonderful attribute when in a quiet conversation, but useless as a signal source in a SSB contest. I gave sweepstakes a try last night. Tragic failure. I'm WAY better off sticking to CW.

My wife made me laugh so hard tonight when she had a little fun repeating my QSOs from last night. Oh my, all the pain of hard fought QSOs came back with full force.

Fortunately, I really dig CW.

Anyone else in the same boat?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Great phrase - "Voice for CW" :) Like "Face for Radio" :)

Glad you too love CW!! I guess I'm blessed with a loud, strong,"Mr. Announcer-Man" voice so I seem to do very well in SSB as well as CW events.

But glad you made a few and at least gave it a shot anyway :)

See you in the next CW contest :) CW is my long-time favorite mode. I never worked SSB much until the 1990s (got my Novice in December '74)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K8AI and KF9VV like this.
  3. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The humbling experience was great.

It taught me that if I want to contest (and I do) i need to get good at CW and get on with RTTY. Focus is good.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Practice makes perfect :) Or at least tolerable :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, WN1MB and KF9VV like this.
  5. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

CW rocks! Aren't all those other modes just Skype with expensive equipment?

WB5YUZ, WN1MB, K8AI and 1 other person like this.
  6. W7UUU

And boy do I have a TON of "CW Rocks" :D

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

N7ANN, WB5YUZ, K8AI and 4 others like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, did you see the QST product review of the inexpensive (and evidently pretty easy to use) "crystal grinder" to raise the frequency of FT-243 packaged crystals?

When I was a Novice, I used a graphite pencil to lower the frequency of a few crystals a little bit, and some "Comet" cleanser and a polishing cloth to raise a few a little bit (usually just 1-2 kHz), but the kit shown looks easier and evidently works.

I think I'll buy one, as I have just "one" crystal-controlled rig (my homebrew 4-250 AM rig, built from a Handbook article by me back in 1967) and I only have about six crystals. My 3.885 MHz crystal, the frequency used for the AM net, is off by about 1 kHz and I might be able to pull it back on. (AM guys are pretty forgiving and rarely complain if you're 1 kHz off, but it would make me feel better.):p Plus, it looks like fun, and my crystals are old FT-243 types that do come apart.

Kitchen table, glass of wine, crystal grinder. How much better can it get than that?:)

N7BKV likes this.
  8. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Voice for CW = There's an oxymoron if ever I saw one. ;-)

9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

The contest code seems really really fast. REALLY FAST!
    What percent of the QSOs do you guys estimate is non computer generated / non computer decoded?

10. WT3K

WT3K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Computer generated, probably a large percentage. Computer decoded, probably a very small percentage.

W5WTH likes this.