ad: vanity

VLF stations?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N3DT, Dec 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Thank you for the link.

2. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

4. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Got it - thank you :)

5. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are using an active antenna with a mini whip, you should be able to copy stations with only the mini whip. You could be overloading the preamp with the long wire.
    Tom WA4ILH

6. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Tom, I need to find my broadcast AM filter. With the mini whip, BC AM is all over the place.

7. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Last night, with my new Yaesu 950 using an active mini-whip (PA0RDT), I was able to tune a few NDBs below MW. The only one I could 'translate' the three character morse code was MOG - Montague, California @ 404 khz.

Other NDBs were heard but I could not properly translate their call signs to determine the location.

How does one know, other than practice-practice-practice, when one character or number stops and another begins?

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

It might help to look at the frequency and compare it with the NDB freq list on line. But if you can copy code, it's easy enough.

9. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

It took me a while, the dots & dashes run together and this novice is having a hard time determining where the gap is between the code. I was able to find a second NDB, Ustik NDB (BO) out of Boise, ID.

For example, B (-...) O (---) could easily be T (-) S (...) O (---).

10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a way to record audio and then use something like Audacity to look at it? Depending on how strong or noisy the signal is you should be able to see the dots/dashes that way. I use to hunt NDBs decades ago and I can tell you that the code these beacons send is slow and sent perfectly and I can guarantee you the characters are not run together.