VLF stations?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N3DT, Dec 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Let us know how it works. I tried it a few days ago, but the software was locking up. Since I was just killing time, I did not investigate further.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I note that some US NDB stations have stronger tone modulation on either upper or lower sidebands.
    Some are full DSB AM and have the same mod strength on both sidebands.

3. KB1VWC

KB1VWC Ham Member QRZ Page

From where I am located on the SE Coastline of NE, I also can copy LW broadcast stations out of Europe and Africa just using my 160M inverted L
    153KHz from Norway
    183KHz from France
    198KHz The BBC
    252KHz Radio Algiers.

I can detect other carriers, but cannot get modulation out of them .

Interesting that I really can't find a BBC shortwave broadcast here that is readable, but yet I can get them on Longwave. I'm sure these will be going away as well; once the tubes in the transmitters die. Radio Algiers is the "Channel Master" . Generally 100% readable every night. I should have paid more attention in high school French Class.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Location Location !
    Here in MI I may have heard an eastern European language very faintly, one winter evening, on the VLF band AM.
    The signal faded out after about 15 Minutes of straining to try to ID the lingo ! Thought it would not be so hard to hear GB, Spain or Portugal on LF !

5. K2IE

K2IE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A good source of info on DXing NDBs and other stuff below 500 kHz is the Longwave Club of America. http://www.lwca.org. They produce an informative monthly bulletin for members, usually containing some radio history as well.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

More NDB stations.
    I was tuning around on 630M, still not hearing anything, so since the background hash seemed a lot lower today, I took a scan across the beacon bands. I heard a few new stations Today around mid-day ! One in western MI, one in PA, a few in OH and one in IN. Now I have added them into my log.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Tuning the Low Freq Band
    Tonight I took another scan across 630M and heard two very faint signals that may have been a DIGI mode. Then I started at 520 and started tuning down the band and IDing every Beacon signal I came across.
    Now It's after midnight now and I have to quit for the evening, I quit tuning 250 kHz where I heard FD in Flin Flon , MB. I positively IDed 80 Stations :eek: and there were a few freqs where two signals were present but the CW overlapped and I did not want to spend much time sorting it out.
    It is an amazing night , low noise level and strong signals, I logged a few new ones tonight ,
    Heard San Juan , PR, Jacksonville, FL, Pensacola, FL, Elkin, NC, Delta , MB, Ft Knox, KY, Millville, NJ, Farmville, VA, Duluth, MN and plenty others from Ontario and Quebec.
    All this on my Yaesu FT990 and 160M dipole antenna. :D

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I've noticed I can hear a lot once I know what to look for. It can be tedious or maybe I've lost my attention span.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not hearing any Amateur operation
    that I can identify(CW) lately :(

10. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Has anyone in Las Vegas NV been able to pickup VLF? I only get QRM here.