ad: hrd-2

VLF stations?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N3DT, Dec 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

NDB Signals Today/
    This afternoon I took another daylight look at the Low freq band. Using my FT990 and a 160M dipole fed with RG8X coax.
    I copied 39 CW IDs from airport beacons in ; MI, OH, IN, PA, ON, and QC. Started tuning at 200 KHz and ended at 420 kHz. from about 15:00 local time to 15:45.
    I cross checked each one by freq and callsign to make sure I heard them correctly. Most of the signals were loud and clear. all but a few new ones were on my old log sheets.
    I have not heard any CW on 630M for a few weeks !

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

With the CB antenna, you are probably really using the coax for an antenna.
    Many lowfers listen with a box loop. a frame about one M on a side wound carefully with a few dozen turns of fine wire and a var cap from an old AM radio to peak it, there is a few turns wound over the main coil to couple it to coax running to your receiver.

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm hearing all kinds of stuff tonight. I even hear UGS at 250 in Athens OH right in with FRT at 248 in Spartenburg SC, both separated by 60 Hz in the Spectrum lab window at around 700 Hz. I'm still trying to figure out that with the 700Hz RX offset. I suppose it's the USB of one and the LSB of the other. I've got the RX set to 249.075 CW (USB). I'm getting confused as usual.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the Canadians all have the tone on USB and US ones can have stronger USB or LSB, you may try reversing the sideband on the Rcvr to see what is stronger.

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I used CW-L and 200 Hz filter for my Canadian receptions.

6. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it seemed to me that no matter which sideband I have selected in CW mode, I can still tune both sides of the carrier and get the tone equal strength both sides. I'll have to study on that one. Yeah, I'm using a fairly narrow CW filter. I'm thinking as long as it's real AM, there will be a 'sub carrier' either side of the carrier by what ever the modulating freq is. Now if it were SSB like CHU, that's different. This USB/LSB thing has always confused me and it gets worse as I get older. I'ts like geometry, I have to look up the trig stuff in my old CRC handbook, I just can't remember it unless I use it every day. And then the RX CW offset screws with it too.

I'm working on getting an e-probe out at the farm, but it's too cold to do anything this week. My wife moved out of Minnesota to get out of this stuff. I also notice that about any antenna I use is about the same, just the noise changes. Must be receiving stuff off the outside of the coax and a lot of it runs underground.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aviation Non Directional Beacons are all transmitted in AM. The identifier is MCW, Modulated CW so that the pilot does not have to mess with sidebands or BFO adjustment.

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Understand that, but if I'm using CW mode I have to deal with it. Usually hard to hear in AM, much easier in CW if I can figure where to tune.

9. K2PI

K2PI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I actively dx these beacons and last couple of years have given it more effort. I use a 500 foot beverage and SDR’s to tune the NDB bands. Have a few dx beaxons in the log from south and central America.

The data carriers you are hearing are differential GPS beacons. There is software to decode the ID’s on these, which can be fun. Software is here
    https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/dgps_decoding_software_sdr.html

Harv
    K2PI

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I might try that thanks for the info.