ad: ProAudio-1

VLF stations?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N3DT, Dec 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

What are these stations? Slow CW. LUA at 245.96, DIW at 198.95, CLB at 217.04 (±2Hz). Heard on my TS2000 with 80M dipole. Also what are all those chirping stations all over the place starting at about 30KHz? Or is it just house noise? Where do I find a list of stations in the east US between 30KHz and 500KHz? I think I can hear WWVB in some BCD CW format but not sure. It's pretty far down there.

2. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

The first bunch are aeronautical beacons. Log them as quickly as you can, as they are on their way out.

The second group are military and other services:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_low_frequency#List_of_VLF_transmissions

K0UO likes this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WASPS:

Worked all switching power supplies plus computer monitors and other computer based equipment for the VLF signals. Those items may be in your house, in your neighbors' houses, and so forth.

Using an 80-meter antenna, the true VLF signals are going to be hard to copy if they can be copied at all.

Glen, K9STH

KD2ACO likes this.
  5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

That ndb list is the first I've seen of that. Why are my beacon frequencies off? I've got my ts2000 locked to a 10MHz GPSDO. It should be within 2Hz, checked with every freq ref I can find on the air. I did hear quite a few WSPR on 630M last night with this 80M dipole. But I'll have to arrange something else. I'm in the boonies so it's hard to tell what the noises are without shutting down the house, maybe electric fences, my antennas are 130' away from the house. The chirping signals seem fairly consistent, like narrow band RTTY. Seem more like signals than noises. We do have an underground dog fence I'll shut that down and see if it helps. Nearest neighbor is about 300 yds away and the next nearest is about a half mile.

With the help of that list I found 2 more, EZF at 237 and not on the list MSQ at 352. They all seem to be fairly local, but DIW is in NC and CLB is in Wilmington NC.

Thanks.

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

So true.

I put a 200uH inductor between the open wire fed antenna lead in and the receiver and a 365mmfd b'cast band tuning cap from the antenna end to ground. This allowed significantly better reception as an "L matching" circuit and includes the lead in as part of the antenna.

This will also work for coax fed antennas but they can be a bit noisier if the coax is routed near/past metal objects.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't find listing for MSQ but LUA , 245 is in Luray, VA.
    DIW 198 is in Dixon, NC.
    CLB 216 is Wilmington, NC.
    EZF 237 is Fredricsburg, VA
    I have logged a few hundred LW airport beacons over the years from MA to MB out in western Canada.
    PS; alternate search finds MSQ on 351 kHz in Culpeper, VA

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The beacons are for an AM receiver to hear. I tune them in the CW mode with a narrow filter, hear the note from the carrier (dead on the listed freqs !) and tune up or down about 1 kHz to hear the tone modulation Morse ID (I believe it's a 1080 Hz tone) . Canadian stations use a 400 Hz tone and you find the CW ID 0.4 KHz up from the carrier usually.
    PS I have been using a TS440s and a FT990 with a 160M dipole antenna.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it. I was listening in CW mode with 6ooHz BW at 700 or 750 BFO offset.So that about makes sense. I use SpectrumLab to tune to measure audio freq and the DSP in the TS2000 is about 1.7 Hz off, not sure how much the sound card is off. I don't have an easy way to adjust the DSP. I can use SL to tune to the desired freq and a generated close signal from the GPS locked Service Monitor and use SL to calculate the difference frequency which puts me spot on, but that's a pain..

Guess I need to put out an amplified E or H probe at the antenna farm. Don't know about TX on VLF, the TS2000 cuts out TX at 1750. Guess they don't want us transmitting in the BC band.
    Thanks

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I had never spent any time in the NDB segment. None of my receivers worked satisfactorily down there. I received an RSP1A late last week, and after reading this thread decided to give it a try. It's connect to a Solarcom Imax-2000 CB antenna, I'm surprised it worked at all. Heard the following:

236kHz - OW
    341 kHz - YYU
    366 kHz - YMW
    377 kHz - YRR
    414 kHz - 3U

All local, except for YYU.

As for the TS-2000 cutting out at 1750. Well, at the time it was designed it had no 'business' down there. It can likely be modded, but performance 'collapses' at those frequencies. Same thing on receive, but in this case, it was to avoid strong BCB negativelly impacting 160M.

A loop antenna would be one option for NDBs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017