VLF, LF & MF receiver

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by WA4ILH, Aug 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was in the Navy, 50 years ago, we had a National receiver in an auxiliary radio room that would tune down to about 10 KHz. (maybe lower) It had plug in modules for several bands which you could change by lifting up two little arms at the bottom front of the receiver and pop out the module and plug in another to change bands. The one thing that I thought was really cool was when you moved the tuning dial when it was tuned to about 10 KHz, you would hear a little “woosh” sound as the frequency changed. I don’t remember the model number but it had “National” on the front panel. Wish I had that now for our newest bands. If memory serves, I think we had 3 modules, probably covered 10 to 530 KHz.... ???
    Tom WA4ILH

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WA4ILH

trying to copy an image here...

Attached Files:

• VLF.jpg
      VLF.jpg
      File size:
      8.5 KB
      Views:
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a National HRO-5oT receiver, which is an MF/MF/LF but not VLF receiver.

The lowest tuning range using standard coils, the quite uncommon "J", is 50-100 kHz.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

5. WA4ILH

OK,then I must be thinknig of another receiver. I definately remember copying stations on 24 KHz.
    Tom WA4ILH

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a National HRO/M in the garage with the plug-in coil banks to change bands. I got it well over 30 years ago and could hear Great DX on 10 and 15 M with the only coil set I had for it !!

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019