VL-1000 Quadra power supply failure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7SWS, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N8NN's guide is very good. Follow that to take the power supply apart, and reverse it to reassemble. Look back in this thread for pictures of the poser supply being disassembled. The procedure is not difficult, but it is tedious and there are a lot of screws. Plan 2-3 hours to complete the first time through.

To power up, turn on the power supply then the amplifier deck. To power down turn the amplifier deck off then the power supply. It is not necessary to turn off the big circuit breaker on the rear of the power supply. AC mains to the power supply should not exceed 240vac. Use a transformer to step down the mains voltage if required.

---

La guía de N8NN es muy buena. Siga eso para desmontar la fuente de alimentación e inviértala para volver a montarla. Mire hacia atrás en este hilo para ver imágenes del suministro de poser que se desmonta. El procedimiento no es difícil, pero es tedioso y hay muchos tornillos. Planifique 2-3 horas para completar la primera vez.

https://www.ab4oj.com/dl/quadra/vp1000_repair.pdf

Para encender, encienda la fuente de alimentación y luego el amplificador. Para apagar, apague el amplificador y luego la fuente de alimentación. No es necesario apagar el disyuntor grande en la parte posterior de la fuente de alimentación. La red de CA a la fuente de alimentación no debe exceder los 240 VCA. Utilice un transformador para reducir la tensión de red si es necesario.

2. LU3VED

LU3VED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear, thanks for the information, it is already repaired and working, I am very happy, jaaa 73yDX

3. WE4E

Great news!

4. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok,

Having read all the way through this thread, and after the OP indicated that Yaesu said his Quadra is "unrepairable"

The thread appears to have been sort of hijacked by others saying "Here's what happened to mine and here's how I fixed it" . All fine and good if the OP was able to fix his using all the great info provided.

I must have missed it.......did the OP ever actually get his "un-repairable" amp fixed?

5. WE4E

The OP never posted again.

In post #2 W9GB linked an article that discusses a power unit retrofit. There is nothing magic about the Yaesu power supply really. So the answer to the original question is yes, it can be done. The Meanwell unit is expensive, but the concepts are valid.

6. K7SWS

K7SWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope....Yaesu said it was unrepairable...catastrophic failure, burning everything. The Yaesu tech guessed a power surge got it.

replaced it with an Acom 1000.