ad: MyersEng-1

VL-1000 Quadra power supply failure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7SWS, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I acquired used (broken) a Pace Sensatemp desoldering station 20+ years ago.
    Great investment, that I never regretted — produced dividends during the Capacitor Plaque occurred.

PC Board Repair Kits are also useful. Used kits sometimes appear on eBay.
    http://www.soldertools.net/categories/PCB-Repair-Materials/

Circuit Medic
    http://www.circuitmedic.com/index.html

Circuit Bond (epoxy), Circuit Frames, & Wire Dots are inexpensive pieces.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    W1TRY likes this.
  2. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had several Pace stations at my previous job, and I spent far and away more time cleaning them than doing something useful. Glad you had better results than I appear to have had.

Five of the six resistor leads cleaned right up. The last one went kicking and screaming. The important connection was the one on top of the board, so I didn't worry about replacing the donut. The via was clean and good, and it soldered right up. If I have to take that one out again someday, however, that could be a pain.

Thanks for the links. I have an OLD trace repair kit around here somewhere. In the bottom of some box I suppose.

3. WE4E

Oh me too. This is a nice piece of equipment. Too smart for its own good sometimes, but just works. I use it with an FTdx5000D and the integration between the two is great. I band hop a LOT, and this makes it simple.

4. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do as well, and the Quadra just follows along transparently. Very nice gear. Also very big, but with a clean look rather than the "steam punk" or STE style many amps have.

The Elecraft amps (KPA-500/KAT500 and KPA-1500) do the same and are a pleasure to use, but look a lot like special test equipment (STE) rather than having the more modern "AV equipment" look of the Quadra.

Never had problems with the inrush current limiters on my Quadra, but am very careful in power up/down sequencing and have not had to operate through any power outages with it.

Brian - K6BRN

5. WE4E

I have the power supply on a shelf under the operating desk. The RF deck sites neatly next to the radio.

IMG_8649.jpg

First time for me. And hopefully the last.

My only lament about this amp is the lack of any type of remote control. Yeah, that's a lot to ask for 1997, but I travel for work and have recently started operating remotely using the FT-991A in the pic. I have to keep the amp powered on when I'm gone, and I'm not nuts about that. I run it on low power and set the alc up pretty tight, and it works fine. I have a little webcam I run so I can at least see it. I get tempted to try to whip up some little pic or arduino thing for rudimentary control, but I really don't want to hack the amp to do it.

M0RIJ likes this.
  6. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Danny (WE4E):

The KPA-500/KAT-500 pairs nicely with the FT-991, BTW.

Wow! I'm impressed! The Quadra amp in your setup actually looks reasonably sized next to the FTDX-5000, which is a LARGE radio. Very nice station.

I keep my Quadra (PS and AMP) on an adjacent table so that I can easily sequence both power supply (via front panel hard switch) and amp power (via front panel soft switch) on and off in the right order. Shutting off the "hard" switch helps protect the Quadra from damage due to mains power "blinks", which it is prone to. I do wish the Quadra had a small remote operating panel. Not many amps do, other than the Icom PWM-1 (and pending PWM-2).

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRB

7. W2KRY

W2KRY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning all,
    I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone here for this thread. And a special thanks to Danny WE4E for the 'spares'.
    Happy to say it saved me literally probably a thousand dollars between shipping and repair charges. I have 2 Quadra's and it happened to both.
    one had the original 3 5 ohm bricks and the one I inherited had been to the mothership and had the 2 10's with the jumper.
    I think with some good USAF coffee and good light, I could repair 3 of these a day now :)
    If there's any way I can help someone else, pics, advice, etc..., please let me know.

Best 73 all around,
    Randy
    W2KRY

KD2ACO and W1TRY like this.
  8. GM3SEK

GM3SEK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been lucky with my Quadra (probably helped by our 230V European mains supply) but those "white brick" resistors were not a good design choice for handling large current surges. If my PSU ever does fail, I would replace all three resistors with the more traditional glass-coated wirewound type which are specifically rated for pulse applications as well as steady-state.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

9. LU3VED

LU3VED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tengo mi VP1000 hace dos meses, y veo que he cometido el error de cortar corriente cada vez que dejo de usarlo, hasta que hoy al prenderlo, no funciono, evidentemente los cortes de energia no son recomendables... pero cual es la solucion?, desaramrlo y que es lo que hay que cambiar?

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

169C92E1-4B70-4428-AA78-F7B456A6A89B.jpeg
    Translated from Spanish
    I have had my Yaesu VP-1000 (AC Power Supply for Yaesu YL-1000) for two months ago.
    I see that I have made the mistake of cutting power every time I stop using it.
    Today, when I turned it on, it does not work.
    Obviously power cuts are not recommended ... but what is the solution?
    Disassemble it? What needs to be changed for repair ?

Yaesu VP-1000 Manual (2.5 kW Switch-Mode Power Supply)
    The Yaesu VP-1000 AC Power Supply delivers 48V DC at 50A, when operated on 220V mains.
    https://www.ab4oj.com/dl/quadra/vp1000um.pdf
    Technical Supplement
    https://www.ab4oj.com/dl/quadra/vl1000_vp1000sm.pdf

How to replace R2A, R2B and R2C -- 5.6 Ohm 5 W ceramic resistors
    by Albert Garcia, N8NN
    Yaesu part number J31379004 -- located on power supply board 1.
    These resistors act as a fuse to protect from surges when turning on the power supply.
    https://www.ab4oj.com/dl/quadra/vp1000_repair.pdf

The Yaesu VL-1000 Quadra HF/6m Amplifier
    by Adam Farson, AB4OJ
    https://www.ab4oj.com/quadra/main.html

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021