VL-1000 Quadra power supply failure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7SWS, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7SWS

K7SWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I let all the smoke out of my Quadra power supply at Christmas time and just got word back from Yaesu repair that it's not repairable.
    So I'm wondering if you could drive the rf deck with a blade server power supply?

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu VL-1000 Quadra HF/6m Amplifier
    by Adam Farson, VA7OJ/AB4OJ (with internal photos)
    http://www.ab4oj.com/quadra/main.html

Inside the Yaesu VP-1000 cabinet is a 2.5 kVA switching power supply, cooled by two large muffin fans. These are visible at the rear. The mains circuit breaker is to the left of the fans.
    The VP-1000 delivers 48V DC at 50A when operated on 220V mains (reduced to 35V when the LOW key is pressed for 500W output).

1FFFCDA3-67FA-4B38-80D9-69E522DC3D1D.jpeg
    ==
    MAYBE. It will NOT be Plug-N-Play ... DIY skills required.
    Since the Yaesu Quadra used the Motorola MRF150 transistor, this means the internal DC supply has to provide ~48 to 50 VDC — PLUS additional DC Voltages (like +12 and +5 VDC) required for the Microprocessor Control Circuitry.
    55B8E1AD-681E-40D6-BFB8-0E34D06D3DCE.jpeg
    This PSU also has to be able to downshift to 35VDC for the 500 Watt output option.

Adam Farson documented a SMPS swap, a few months ago.
    ==
    Yaesu Quadra VP-1000 PSU : Retrofit of Meanwell SMPS (RSP-3000-48 and RT-65B)
    by Adam Farson, VA7OJ/AB4OJ
    13 September 2018
    Based on a 2015 collaboration with Dale Hankins KB5VE and Joe Torrey WD5Y,
    and concepts developed by Matt Erickson KK5DR

http://www.ab4oj.com/quadra/vp1000_meanwell_retrofit.pdf
    ==
    You might want to talk to Bill Grassa, N4ATS who has worked on the Quadra,
    about Options, as well as fit with minimal hacking, etc.
    https://www.n4ats.com/index.html

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    KD2ACO likes this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I scored a good dual 60 amp supply a year ago on Ebay. I'll get out to the shed & get the model number tomorrow.

Ed

4. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious - what was the cause of the VL-1000 power supply failure? Any thoughts?

Brian - K6BRN

K5RT likes this.
  5. KD2AAC

KD2AAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just went to turn my VL-1000 on and got nothing. No fans in the back, nothing. Flipped the circuit breaker hoping that might have been the problem. Still nothing. Any fuses inside that might blow?

I am assuming the power supply is not coming on if the fans don't come on. This is not good.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure there are. Why they blew is another story.

I thought blade supplies were 24 Volt, Or are some 48 V ?

7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A little late to the game, but the fix may be a relatively simple one.

The VP-1000 has three 5.6 ohm resistors in it that limit inrush and in severe cases, will open. When that happens, it will show no signs of life. The repair is fairly invasive, but is not difficult.

Really good instructions here.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  8. K6BRN

This is an older thread... but I still have one comment...

Failure of the VP-1000 (Quadra amp power supply) inrush current limiting resistors is usually an indicator that the VP-1000/VL-1000 Yaesu Quadra amp pair was powered up in the wrong order - repeatedly. Either due to misoperation or very frequent mains power interruptions/resumptions. There are some anecdotal reports that this failure is more prevalent when operating the powerpply off of 120VAC rather than 220VAC, where the max recommended output is limited to about 500W.

With this amp, once the cables from the power supply to amp are connected, the VP-1000 rear breaker/switch must be turned on first (and usually left on), followed by the VP-1000 front panel ("hard") switch, follwed by the VP-1000 ("soft") switch. Power down should be sequenced in the reverse order (VL-1000 FIRST, the WAIT 5 seconds, THEN the VL-1000), with no need to turn off the breaker unless the power supply/amp combo is being disassembled and moved.

I've done this with mine for years (running on 220VAC) and had zero problems.

Brian - K6BRN

9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. I've had mine for a couple of years, and this is how I operate it. My power supply quit recently. I used it Thursday, worked fine. Monday, zero signs of life. It was powered down, hard switch on the VP-1000 off, main breaker on. It's running on "240" through a buck/boost transformer as my incoming line is about 252 in the winter. But it's summer in the south, and that means frequent brief power interruptions, and we had one Monday morning.

I checked all the usual stuff. I'm going to open it up this week and see if indeed one or more of the resistors are open.

10. K6BRN

Good luck, Danny (We4E) and please let us know what you find.

Brian - K6BRN