VK4FFAB Homebrew Straight Key

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK4FFAB, Jul 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to work...:)
    The audio sounds awful on my crappy mobile device speaker though.

2. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats the crappy audio out of the radio. I normally use headphones because the speaker sounds like crud. But, you cannot hear anything in a video if i am wearing headphones LOL

3. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job Rob two thumbs up on effort. You might want to try a lighter touch with your index finger on top of knob; thumb and middle finger on the sides instead of the wrap around gorilla grip on the key pad you'll have better feel, and control of the key.

73, Dave

VK4FFAB and W5WN like this.
  4. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the tips Dave. The right sized springs arrived in the mail yesterday, that and along with your tips and the straight key is feeling a little more comfortable. I have a couple of other projects i want to finish, then i am going to spend some time using the straight key to key my proficiency up with it. I can see this one replacing the horrid chinese paddle i use portable and I will make another one, with some improvements for use at home. I have Begali paddles, but am not keen on chucking them in the portable kit where everything gets bashed about and abused. :)