ad: AbAuRe-2

Visual Additions to Ham Shack

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4NJV, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KO4NJV

KO4NJV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in the process of putting together my shack. I have a spare RaspberryPi for HamClock and plan on setting it up on a stand-alone monitor. I also have a dual 24" monitor setup for my desktop and dual 27" monitors for the better half's desk, which will sit nearby.

With that being said, what else can be added to the shack for visual feedback or stimulation? Is there a program, similar to HamClock, that can stream active weather and/or weather alerts?

Just looking for ideas to "spruce" things up a bit. Starting this shack from scratch so all ideas are apprecaited.

Operating conditions are: Yaesu Ft-450d, Yaesu Fp-757hd, Yaesu Ft-3000m, Yaesu YS-60, Yaesu Ys-500, MMDVM Hotspot with 3.5" nextion screen, Ailunce HD1

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You could go with the "retro" look in the shack?? 73 Rich
    [​IMG]

N4FZ, W0AQ, N2HUN and 9 others like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

A globe, maps that show grid squares, a world map, band allotments, photos of field day, and a picture of me centered on your wall.

WW3JAY, WA1GXC and N2HUN like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Colored mood lights and a cat seem to be popular decorations

AB0R, K6RUV, N2HUN and 2 others like this.
  5. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

No monitors in my shack...'cept the 7" one on my newest rig. Got an ARRL azimulthal equidistant projection world map on the wall to left of the desk, a cork board on the wall behind the operating desk with various things on it...recent QSL cards, certificates, band plan, etc...a 24hr analog clock.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wall-mounted 43" 4K screen running the latest version of GeoChron would be super cool

Dave
    W7UUU

N2HUN likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need more operating conditions...

AB0R, KN1M, WA1GXC and 3 others like this.
  8. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang. $400 is just a hair over that sweet spot I have discovered, that magic amount that I can spend without a consult. That is an awesome looking gadget though.

9. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I need to do that. Maybe not that large, my shack is kind of small.

10. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll admit that I've been tempted by the Geochron, but I haven't wanted to invest funds in upgrading a monitor and getting a 4K display to support it. Besides, the Raspberry Pi I have running hamclock on its own little display provides much of the viable utility I would want out of a Geochron at a much lower cost. (Admittedly, it's not as pretty.)

Lately, I've been dedicating one display in my office to an EarthCam display -- find a view that appeals to you, and have a virtual window.

I've also spent an embarrassing amount of time playing with / automating the lighting in my office. I wouldn't call that visual stimulation, but it does help with ambiance.