Visit to W8JI

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Nov 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to my brother's place (KK4TVR) in Byron this weekend. Eric lives not too far from W8JI. Tom met us for lunch at the Whistlestop Cafe where "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed. After a nice meal, we all drove to his contest station. All I can say is....wow! See the attached photo of Eric trying to see the top of one of Tom's towers. eric.jpg

KD2ACO and K6CLS like this.
  2. KA4KOE

Eric touched the top static-discharge ball, not knowing any better. Luckily, the humidity was high and he didn't get a bad shock.

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ouch!

K0UO likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Is that a Rohn 25 or 45? The base section looks just like mine.

I would have thought Tom would have installed a static discharge choke.

5. KA4KOE

the two tall towers are RG55 and RG65 per Tom's website

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The one directly in front of that fellow looking up looks like R25. I don't know what he's using for a base insulator. Looks like a cylindrical insulator but every one I have ever seen made by Austin was brown glaze. That one looks like white unglazed ceramic. the tower off in the distance looks more like 55 or 65.

7. KA4KOE

Didn't look that close. The fellow looking up is my brother KK4TVR. He is a relatively new ham (5 years) and was simply awestruck.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That sure looks bigger than 12" 25G. 45 and 55 are both 18" faces , just a bit more steel on the 55.

65 is 2' plus 3 bolt flanges, also 20' sections.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem I find with the 25G is that there isn't enough room on the horizontal rung to accommodate both feet unless you use especially narrow footwear. I couldn't find a satisfactory pair of boots my size, and ended up inserting a stainless steel in-sole (purchased on-line) into an old pair of hiking boots that I now reserve just for tower climbing. A metal shank or plate in the sole is a must; standing any length of time on the narrow rungs of a 25G or 45G tower wearing a soft sole boot results in a painful cramp in the arch of the foot. I can stand on a rung of 25G for an hour or two without discomfort, wearing those modified shoes.