ad: w5yi

Visalia DX Convention

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

I have heard that many of the BIG winners at Visalia drop a cool $1K or more on raffle tickets. With that sort of odds in your favor, winning seems to happen easier I would think. I usually drop $200-300 on raffle tickets and have won a fair share of goodies over the last 8 years. Last year, I made off with the Pixel Pro-1B Magnetic Loop RX antenna, retails for around $300 so I got my moneys worth. Couple years before that, I won two (2) hanks of copper antenna wire totalling 150' so that wire is up on the wall and will not be used for any old antenna but something appropriate since it cost me around $2-3 a foot :)

Gene W5DQ

2. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

A ham from merry ol' England won the Honda 2000 generator this year. Not sure how he plans on getting it home. Another fly-in ham won the big Yeasu Rotor. Probably cost him half as much as a new one just for excess baggage fees. My traveling buddy won the 'not even released yet' Alpha 4040 4Kw automatic antenna tuner main prize this year. He plans on selling it and buying an amp and tuner with the proceeds.

Gene W5DQ

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was selling tickets one year (San Diego DX CLub has duties on the SOUTH year) and I sold $600 worth to one person Another Ham sold $1000 worth to a couple of high rollers. $1000 is chicken feed for some of these ULTRA WEALTHY Hams. They spend that on LUNCH! And, with that kind of dollars dropped, they do have great success at winning! This year, they had an Icom IC-7700 AND a Yaesu FTdx5000, Plus some cheaper rigs like an Icom IC-718 and Yaesu FT-450. As I said, something like $45 THOUSAND dollars in prizes from Vislaia! Far exceeding all the rest of the Hamfests and Conventions combined! (including DAYTON!)

4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

How many tickets do they sell, Pat? Those prizes are donated usually, are they not?

It isn't surprising. Everyone knows that DXers are taller, smarter, richer and better looking than other hams, and true blue, too. Stand tall, and be deserving!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.