Virus on ARRL General Exam review CD?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KK4DUZ, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4DUZ

KK4DUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to load the ARRL General Exam Review CD software (from the General Class License Manual -- previously sealed) on my Win-7 machine and the virus checker went crazy. I couldn't get it loaded & finally decided maybe that was wise, so I booted Ubuntu, but it wouldn't run under Wine either.

I just want to know if anyone else has run into this issue, or maybe my Win-7 settings are screwed up. I think I'm ready to take the exam anyway, so I don't absolutely have to use it.

Thanks,

Chuck KK4DUZ (3 weeks!)

2. K4PYR

K4PYR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chuck,

No idea, but if you visit http://aa9pw.com/ and take the online test a couple of times you should be ready to go. I am sure that there is no virus, but being safe is smart. Good luck on your upgrade.

Eric

3. W7ND

W7ND Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't get any virus messages when I installed mine, but it did launch an autoupdater right after instalation. Maybe the autoupdate portion of the program is sending up virus flags as it tries to make a connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.