ad: Melbourne-1

Virginia senator wants to restrict amateur mobile more than CB

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Jan 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look at this proposed amendment to the current law concerning use of hand held communication devices while mobile...

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+ful+SB74

Under the line with "B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to:" we have these two bullets describing exceptions...

5. The use of a citizens band radio;

6. Vehicles used or operated by federally licensed amateur radio operators (i) while participating in emergency communications or drills on behalf of federal, state, or local authorities or (ii) to provide communications services to localities in the Commonwealth for public service events, including marathons, footraces, or activities authorized by the Department of Transportation or the locality in which the event is being conducted;

Questions:
    • Why the additional restrictions on amateur radio?
    • Did some ham anger this senator leading up to these proposed restrictions on only amateur radio mobile operations while leaving CB radio restriction free?
    • Any other states have similar disparity between the ARS and other citizen radio services?
    Thanks.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems to me the guy who wrote that is either a CBer himself or more likely has backing of a CB group/manufacturer (i.e., cash infusion)....

Nothing new about politicians slanting things to support their own agenda or those of their contributors :(

Dave
    W7UUU

W7JZE, N7ANN, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have to agree and toss in the "trucking" industry and that completes the picture.

I guess VA hams will give up their rigs to go back to CB...if they want to work mobile?

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would probably write my representative and urge other amateurs in Virginia to do so, it might not make a difference but maybe it would. The Texas bill that was signed into law in 2017 is worded in an interesting way. Presumably it would ban the use of an HT, but if you had the HT mounted in a certain way you could perhaps legally get out of any tickets.

NL7W likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Oddly enough, Oregon rewrote it's disracted driving law in such a way that permanently mounted were exempted. Oddly enough because it's rare Salem gets it right. If I were in Virginia I would be all up in my representatives grill about the disconnect even though there are plenty that don't feel we're safer than a good buddy when it comes to operating our radios in motion.

Hang up and drive.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks to me as if some eager beaver ham over-played the EmComm card when it just wasn't necessary. The legislators being clueless about amateur radio just went with whatever they were told. I seriously doubt that they came up with that language themselves.

K6LPM likes this.
  7. AC1CX

AC1CX Ham Member QRZ Page

I was listening to a podcast on ICQ discussing this a few weeks ago. There it was claimed the US DOT several years ago threatened States with loss of Federal funds if they didn’t crack down on CB and Amateur Radio use, restricting to only time of Actual Emergency Conditions

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s an interesting assertion. And, sadly, quite plausible.

I don’t suppose that the podcast in question had a link to any actual US DOT documentation to that effect, did they?

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding legislative action, don't assume malice when stupidity will suffice.

WA8FOZ, W7JZE, W8IXI and 7 others like this.
  10. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be malicious stupidity. I’m not sure the average cop can tell the difference between a ham an CB radio.

W7JZE, WZ7U and N4FZ like this.