ad: Schulman-1

Virginia Beach Hamfest - 9 Sep 2017

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by K4MZR, Sep 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4MZR

K4MZR Ham Member QRZ Page

In a word: dead. I showed up for the early-bird admission and stayed until roughly 11:30. By my estimate there weren't more than 50-60 people in the entire room at one time. Only about 3 legitimate vendors and not even enough junk to mention. I genuinely felt sorry for the couple of out of town vendors. This event is begging to be put out of its misery!

2. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering it was my first type of such an event (being a newish Ham) my honest take away was that "its no wonder the art is dying". I was pleased with the Silvertip Antenna group. They had enthusiasm! If this event is representative of what Hams are used to attending, then I'd say I've come too late to the party. Perhaps it was a matter of organization (or lack thereof). Where were the real vendors? Where was the tech? Where were the representatives?

That being said, i did leave with an X50a for less than what can be had on Amazon. So that is something. Hold on, I paid how much for entrance?

I had more insight and feel goods visiting HRO in Warrenton than I did attending this "fest".

3. K4MZR

K4MZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Be sure to check out the Richmond Frostfest in February; it's traditionally larger and better-attended than the VA Beach fiasco.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"The internet killed the hamfest".

5. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my tech ticket at the VA hamfest 25 years ago. There was a good sized crowd on hand then. I drove back to the VA Beach hamfest to upgrade back in 2010, I was very disappointed at the crowd size, and lack of vendors. I think there was a dozen total vendors and half of tem were computers or not really Ham radio related and most were packing up early. There might have been 50 people in the whole place. I wanted to go back when I upgraded to Extra, but it wasn't worth the drive. So I went elsewhere. The Frostfest in Richmond is worth the trip. Big crowd (if the weather is nice) lots of vendors.

6. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

HRO in Warrenton?

I spent the week at another beach in NC and had a great time.