Virgin on the Air: First QSO - Remember Yours?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first QSO (and, yeah, it was with Morse code) was petrifying and... I'll never forget it.

What's your story of your first QSO? Or, the most memorable or embarrassing QSO? Do you have any memorable QSOs in which you were overwhelmed or substantially impacted?

73 de NW7US

W4NNF likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first got this call sign, I was having a QSO but then suddenly forgot what my call sign was in the excitement of it all.

I remember when it came time for station identification, I kinda froze and remember thinking..., is it supposed to be VWM or is it WVM ..?!?!

I actually had to tell the guy on the other end to hold on a sec. while I went to read the call letters off my newly minted license.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    KU4X, KA4DPO, KE5OFJ and 4 others like this.
  3. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, I remember mine. It was just a couple of weeks ago :)

I ordered my radio the morning after I passed my test. I had my radio for 5 days before I got my call sign. I did a LOT of listening for those 5 days (and quite a bit before that via SDR). I thought to myself "I'm an ex trucker. I've had thousands of conversations on the CB. I won't get mic fright"... Famous last words. Heard a guy call that he was mobile and monitoring on one of the local repeaters. Keyed up, said his call sign, started to say mine. Just like I'd heard the other guys doing it. Promptly forgot my call sign. I explained that it was my first time on the air, we both laughed about it and had a real nice conversation.

NW7US likes this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

By the look of him he’s probably still one. Me? I’m ugly and my momma dresses me funny.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure I remember my first CW QSO. It was with Nick Winter (WA7IVO, now K7MO). We yakked for 33 minutes via CW so that I could earn my very first "wallpaper" - the [now defunct] ARRL "Rag Chewers Club" award. He's still a good friend to this day.

This contact was not long after getting my Novice ticket (WN7AWK) and was my first "real" QSO

Dave
    W7UUU

3-DSC_0127.JPG

4-DSC_0128.JPG

KE5OFJ, K3KIC and NW7US like this.
  6. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... and what does that even mean?

You might want to distance yourself from the RF. It might be having an adverse influence on your cognitive functioning.

WW2E likes this.
  7. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

First time was on a two meter repeater talking to someone, don't remember who.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

U mad bro?

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's just the "Charlie Factor". In fact, he really is kinda ugly and his mother does kinda dress him funny :D:D

Facts is facts

Dave
    W7UUU

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine was CW with K1LEE, Lee Collins. Like most people I was scared s#|tless, but Lee was patient. I did OK and anxiously awaited Lee's QSL.

Another proud moment was with Bob Rightsell, AE4FA using my straight key and telling him how I was trying to get to 20WPM (been on the air a few months) when he told me he was sending at 20WPM and I was sending at 23WPM. I had a real case of big head after that. Eventually got to 40WPM when I burned out. I still QSO at 30-35 WPM easily and have guys like Lee and Bob to thank!

W7UUU likes this.