Vintage Turner +2

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by PUMPKINMAN, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:46 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. PUMPKINMAN

PUMPKINMAN QRZ Member

Hi everyone. I have an old Turner +2 microphone. Looks to be mint but does not work at all. It seems to get no power and I have tried two new batteries. Now I am not technical so I am asking for some suggestions here on how to trouble shoot this as, I would love to get it operational. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you know "it gets no power?"

What exactly are you measuring?

3. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Dirty switch contacts?

4. PUMPKINMAN

PUMPKINMAN QRZ Member

I guess what I mean is when you key the mike nothing at all happens. So where do I start trying to trouble shoot this thing. All wires are hooked up inside but it simply doesn't work. Anyone here every fixed one?

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Never read of the element failing in that microphone. The push to talk switch has a contact connecting the 9 volts battery to the electronics. I would first clean that switch contacts with DeOxit.

6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Turner +2. It's a nice microphone and should be easy to get working. As others have said, clean the PTT switch contacts. The switch contact connect the 9V battery to the amplifier only when the PTT switch is pressed. So make sure that that part is working. Do you have a multi-meter?

But this brings up a question. What radio and what mode are you using to test the microphone? If your radio is in the SSB mode (USB or LSB) you will get no power output by just keying the microphone. You may get an indication from the radio that you are in the transmit mode. But, you will get no output power until you talk into the microphone.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the microphone connected to (plugged into)?

It doesn't do anything all by itself.:p

8. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting facts is like pulling teeth

9. PUMPKINMAN

PUMPKINMAN QRZ Member

Ok. Sorry this isn't clear. Mike is attached to a good working Galaxy 2547. Running on AM. When this mike is attached and keyed and talked into, there is nothing. No RX/TX light , just absolutely nothing. Cobra and Galaxy mikes will work fine. Just would like to bring this old mike back to life. I will clean the contacts and yes I have acquired a multi meter. Will keep you posted, Thanks

10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure it is wired correctly for that radio? Even if it has no audio output it should key the transceiver to transmit if it is wired correctly to at least do that and the switch on the bottom is in the right position for either relay or electronic keying.
    Schematics and wiring manuals for the plus 2 can be found online. It's a pretty old mic so the wiring manual may not list that newer radio.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 8:20 AM