Vintage Hollywood Receiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Jan 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a good condition 1947 Hollywood receiver for $75. It is almost unheard of and is a commercial receiver likely used in school classrooms. I bought it due to the unusual appearance. The metal case has a built-in speaker with very basic diamond shape metal grill. Tube line is all loctal tube type except the 5W4 rectifier with an RF amp tube for a total of six tubes. The 7A7 RF amp tube is the equivalent of a octal base 6SK7. The large power transformer operates cool to the touch.

Bands are AM broadcast and shortwave from 5 MHz to 17.5 MHz. The shortwave band was not sensitive so I replaced all the paper caps and rebuilt the high voltage power supply. Also added a new audio tube cathode bypass capacitor. Shortwave reception is now very sensitive. While you are inside the receiver, the 500 ohm 7C5 cathode bypass resistor is too high at 500 ohms for best Class A1 audio at 16 volts bias. I installed a 350 ohm resistor for the standard -13 volts bias.

What is unusual about the receiver is the sensitivity on the shortwave bands and reception barely falls off at 17 mhz. The 6SK7 (7A7) is noted to fall off a lot in sensitivity at about 15 MHz. Not this radio. It receives well on only a 10 foot wire antenna and receives strong shortwave stations without any antenna.

I ordered a sensitive 7A7 RF tube replacement called a 7H7. The 7H7 is the equivalent to a 6AB7 tube with 4800gm. Comparing this radio to a Hallicrafters S-108 I find the Hollywood has better sensitivity. I recommend this receiver for casual AM and shortwave listening. It somehow performs way better than it should.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

C'mon, show us a picture or two!

3. N8FVJ

[​IMG]

K1XS and WR2E like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder why? No problem with that here...

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to see it. email a pic to me and I'll upload it for you.

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Model HE-621

There's one on ebay right now, or maybe you're selling yours?

7. N8FVJ

The eBay item is an over priced pile of rusty junk with a severely stained radio dial IMO. It is worth about $25 vs the $55 I paid for a clean radio. I am keeping my Hollywood.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeabutttt.... does it have the noise blanker? :D:D:D

Seriously: very cool radio

Dave
    W7UUU

W1BR likes this.
  9. N8FVJ

No noise blanker, but has a tone control!!!!!!

W7UUU likes this.
  10. N8FVJ

BTW- I found a schematic & discussion of the radio use. It stated recommended antenna length is 6 to 15 feet. That is why it works so well with the 10 foot antenna I am using. The Hallicrafters S-108 I owned did not perform well on a short antenna. And, the S-108 uses a higher gain 6SG7 RF tube vs the lowly 7A7 (6SK7) RF tube in the Hollywood radio.