VINTAGE Ham Radio Repairs aka Boat Anchors

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by KG4NZW, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG4NZW

KG4NZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I repair all types of old ham radios and other old radios and amps from the 1930's to the 1970's all makes, all models including vacuum tube and early transistor types as well as commercial two way radios in ham service. I am a certified electronic technician with ham and FCC commercial lic. I have over 50 years exp. ALL repairs guaranteed! Call Charles at 205 491 5532 or email for more info 73 de KG4NZW

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. W2ILP

W2ILP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if this is a proper place to ask this question but here goes:-

A ham who became a silent key had a very well equiped station, including a Yaesu FT-920, Power Amplifiers, and many Heathkits that he built in the 1970s. His XYL gave me all of his equipment. It was quite a job to haul it all out of his ham shack. She said that she did not wish to sell any of it but her husband's wish was to give it to a ham or hams who would use it and not sell it.

After some time, she called me on the phone, asking that I make an assesment list of the fair market value of each item. I am going to test each unit and repair and adjust anything that may need work done on it. Thus I could presently make only a rough guess as to what the total fair market value (FMV) would be based on what similar items had been sold for on eBay and QRZ. Her family said that she should be able to claim a charitable tax deduction for the sonated ham equipment on her 2012 Federal Income Tax.

I am a member of a non-profit ham club, but I had not planed on giving all of the equipment to the club. I may however give some of the equipment to other members of the club, who will be able to use it. In keeping with the original owner's wishes, I do not plan to sell any of the equipment. I also do not expect to charge anyone for assessing the value of the stuff or for any testing or repairs that may be necessary...or for storing the stiff. As well as I can consevatively figure, the total FMV is between $3,000 and $4000.

Does she have to prove that the equipment is to be used by a charitable organization...or can I vouch that I will see that the equipment is to be used in non-profit amateur radio stations and on Field Days for the purposes of operation in emergencies, etc.???

This question must have arrisen before. I see lots of donated stuff being sold for profit and I question if that is ethical. I do want to help the ham's widdow claim her donation. It is all I can do to thank her for trusting me to use and distribute the equipment in a manner that her departed husband would have approved of.

Bob Wexelbaum, W2ILP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.