Vintage computers

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KE0CPH, Oct 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0CPH

KE0CPH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know of this is the right spot to ask this. I also don't think these computers I have could be used for Ham radio which is why I'm not posting in the swap meet.

Basically, I'm wanting to sell some of my vintage computers (or I can sell it as a lot to someone in exchange for an all mode HF radio).

I have stuff like a Commodore 64, Vic 20, either two Apple IIe or one IIe and one II+ (can't remember), some old Motorola based Macintosh computers, some pre-iMac PowerPC Macs, a bunch of 386 computers, an Epson Apex with an Intel 8088 and 640k of RAM, a Tandy 1000hx, the list could go on.

I do have an Apple IIgs and an IBM PS/ValuePoint that I'm NOT considering about selling. Got to be able to play some Carmen Sandiego and DOOM :)

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

You can probably get a few $$$ for some of that. But maybe there's a computer museum somewhere nearby?

3. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think people still use C64s for ham radio.

Ed

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree Ed - I'm pretty sure they do. Fun little computer - The Commodore 64 still stands near the top of the list as the most-sold single model of computer in the history of computers! I had a number of them "back then" but never for ham radio uses.

A Commodore 64, if in working condition, still does 100% of what it was designed to do. Only our expectations of what a computer should do have changed.

Dave
    W7UUU

NK2U and WA4SIX like this.
  5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Non x86 computers can be rather collectable depending upon what they are, especially the early Apple machines. The x86 machines, meh.

6. KE0CPH

There's probably no computer museum for hundreds of miles (not being sarcastic either). I live in the middle of Iowa, so yeah.

I'm just wanting to get rid of some of that stuff in exchange for money or a radio.

7. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is probably a C64 in the back of a closet somewhere at my parents house.. we had one with the disk drive and I think for a short while I had a PK-64 packet modem for it back in my early ham days (I think that is long since sold).

I would see if many are selling on ebay? I would guess there are some enthusiasts around that would pay for them as I would suspect many of these old computers were long since tossed away and less of them remain. If completed sales on ebay seem to be in the range you are looking for.. then maybe that's a good outlet to find them a new home.

We do have a vintage computer museum within an hour or so here but I'm pretty sure they have a C64 and other earlier apple models.

8. KK6GMN

KK6GMN Ham Member QRZ Page

No Ataries??!!

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have my HP-150 touch screen computer, with built-in printer, from 1983. Still runs fine with DOS 3.2. Have a box full of software and documentation. My collection also has the optional 20 Meg hard drive in an external box.

[​IMG]

10. KE0CPH

Sadly, no :(

Or Amigas.