Viking Valiant modulator current 250 ma

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K1OIK, May 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

If I ever have a problem fixing a rig, I hope I get as much "help" as this one got.

Oh wait! Maybe it's not yet over.

N6UH and N2EY like this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This morning it went right into transmit as soon as it warmed up.
    I forgot I tripped over the microphone a few days ago pushing a tied back PTT wire to the ground shield.
    I do preventive maintenance on my car and my house. and get a physical.
    That's it.
    If the Valiant blows up it's only worth $350 working. I will sell it for parts.
    I don't replace parts that still work.
    I bought a DX-60 that was in a fire, everything covered with soot. I must have made over $75 selling the parts.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/EF-Johnson...ent-Kit-/390353733368?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  3. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

"I don't replace parts that still work" You must really like taking the covers off and on stuff. I'm really glad Orthopedic Surgeons don't adopt that philosophy.

AC0OB, N2EY and KS4W like this.
  4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I should replace all the parts because taking the cover off is so hard?
    bottom.JPG

5. WA1UIL

Nice "Viking Valiant"........

WR2E likes this.
  6. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your point is well taken but we have seen a common theme here in these "Burt" threads:

1. Burt claims to have been an electronic's instructor,
    2. Burt's responses seem to show that even a basic knowledge of Ohm's Law is either not well understood or he cannot seem to apply those laws to simple transmitter circuits,
    3. It seems Burt wants other to think for him.

Jim EY and others have given Burt detailed servicing and tracing information but:

W1BR: Why do you ask for advice then make asinine replies? You don't care about ham radio, but you'd risk destroying your transmitter, which would sell for an easy 500 bucks? All to save a measly ten spot on a few cheap capacitors?

He comes back with asinine and irrelevant information that has no relevance to the problem at hand.

So Burt, some advice. Please listen to those who understand electronics and pay attention to those responses because they are trying to help you if you will only listen and understand those responses.

Respond to the immediate and relevant topic being discussed.

You may think your off topic and irrelevant quips may be cute but they do not help your reputation, nor does it help others who may have similar Valiant problems.

Pheel

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    KS4W, N2EY and W1BR like this.
  7. WA1UIL

Burt, out of sheer curiosity I scrolled back in the thread and you posted a pic of your Viking Valiant (or your twin brother did). Yes it is in beautiful shape on the underside and very well worth keeping.
    So why do a less than half ass job at getting it working if you plan to keep it? Say you get it running, with all the out of tolerance resistors and high ESR caps still in place. Then what? do you wear a face shield and ear protection EVERY time you turn it on cuz at some point it WILL go BANG? Its not an IF but its a WHEN it goes bang. And when it does its gonna blacken the pristine undersides with szorch marks, confetti. And if your Karma is running in the minus numbers then probably a Mod or power transformer. My Son lives in Harwich Ma. Your not far from there. Whats your best price as is and I'll buy it and he'll pick it up. Do I WANT another Valiant? not really I just hate to see something that nice get all booger'd up.

N2EY, W1BR and AC0OB like this.
  8. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

The filter caps look like fairly modern types, and not likely to "explode".

Out-of-tolerance carbon resistors might upset peak performance, but,. again, not likely to cause an explosion.

I would certainly run this rig without using goggles and a face shield.

9. WA1UIL

Are you going by the above picture he posted?

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean the one that is not a Valiant under chassis ?

AC0OB likes this.