[Video] The Space Comms YouTube channel is for beginners

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KG4AKV, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KG4AKV

KG4AKV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes people I contact on satellites for the first time are very excited to contact me. These are people that have been watching my videos for a while, often new hams and/or new satellite operators, who hoped they would contact me one day, and then they do. They often tweet their excitement or express it on air.

This video documents a couple of times that happened recently with Matt, VO1WEB, and Trevor, KD9IXX. This is a celebration of new satellite ops and an explanation of the purpose of this channel and my intention to make more how to videos aimed at beginning satellite operators.

Please subscribe:
    http://bit.ly/YouTubeSComms

Patreon:
    http://bit.ly/PatreonSComms

Blog:
    https://spacecomms.wordpress.com/

Nifty Ham Radio Accessory HT stand:
    http://bit.ly/NiftyHTstand

In order of appearance seen in the video the passes are the following:

2018-05-25 - 2335 UTC - SO-50
    2018-05-12 - 2018 UTC - AO-85 <-- N6UA can be heard in the clip I used
    2018-05-27 - 0140 UTC - SO-50
    2018-06-02 - 2335 UTC - SO-50

73, John Brier KG4AKV

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    K3RLD, N3CRT, K6LCS and 2 others like this.
  2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting that video. You're showing how to work an FM satellite, and work it full-duplex. Good job!

73!

WE4B and KG4AKV like this.
  3. KG4AKV

You're welcome and thank you very much for the feedback Patrick. Full duplex is indeed important.

WD9EWK likes this.
  4. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

John, what has impressed me about your videos and your operating is that you have made gradual improvements in your station and skill. You share that and are able to relate it to beginners well.

N3CRT, WE4B, KG4AKV and 1 other person like this.
  5. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

A question. At 4 mins in the notes basically suggest:
    Matt can hear John on the downlink and John can hear Matt on the downlink.
    Meaning (to me anyway) Matt has a good path up to the Sat and a good path down.
    So..... Why wasn't Matt able to hear himself on the downlink?

KG4AKV likes this.
  6. WD9EWK

Matt may have had some interference on the downlink at that moment?

KG4AKV likes this.
  7. W5WTH

Since he couldn't hear himself, wouldn't sat etiquette suggest he not Tx. Isn't that why full duplex is suggested so heavily?
    And, let me add that this is in no way a judgement of Matt's skills. I am asking for my education.

KG4AKV likes this.
  8. WD9EWK

It may have been a momentary burst of interference. It happens. Simply being able to hear signals well at your location is no guarantee everyone else can do the same throughout a pass.

Yes, one advantage of full-duplex operation is that you know if you are - or aren't - making it through a satellite. You don't get that when you work half-duplex. Being able to hear yourself means you aren't relying on other stations to let you know you are getting through.

K6LCS, KG4AKV and W5WTH like this.
  9. KG4AKV

That's very nice of you to say Clayton. Thanks a lot! :)

WE4B and WD9EWK like this.
  10. W5WTH

I had a QSO with @WD9EWK and it was a trill for me as he taught me so much about the sats from his website and postings. FWIW, we were only about 2 miles apart at the time... I had one with Clayton while I was in an In-and-Out Burger parking lot. A contact with @KG4AKV would be pretty cool as well.

Thanks to all of you for your support in helping the Newbies.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    WE4B, KG4AKV and WD9EWK like this.