[Video] New UHF ISS Digipeater!

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KG4AKV, Dec 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4AKV

KG4AKV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please subscribe for more videos!
    https://www.youtube.com/SpaceComms1?sub_confirmation=1

Recently, the old VHF Ericsson handheld used for the digipeater on the ISS died and it was replaced with an equivalent UHF one. This is my first time digipeating through it.

I also tried to make my first APRS satellite contact. I successfully sent a message to the digipeater for another ham, KM4SYN, but he didn't receive it from the ISS. He did however receive one of my beacon packets and you can see me on his map.

The "Programming TH-D72 for ISS Digipeater" video will be uploaded next week.
    I made this recording on November 2nd, 2016, shortly after the UHF digipeater was activated.

Thanks for watching!

73, John Brier KG4AKV

The music at the end is Cybotron - Clear, a classic electro track.

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ack... I just tried digipeating the ISS last night and that very last clip in your video is clearly at least one of my problems. I was using a cheap Baofeng HT + APRSdroid, but simply using the VFO to pick a single frequency for true simplex operation. I now realize that I need doppler in two directions (something I had not experienced needing for the FM satellites... which, btw, I still have not been successful in making a contact, either). But I guess I'll learn a little each time I try. I hope to make contact with you at some point, I really enjoy your youtube channel.

3. KG4AKV

Yeah, many FM sats are 2m up 70cm down and you don't have to tune on 2m since the doppler is only about 3khz.

Patrick WD9EWK has a frequency/memory pair chart for programming your radio here:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/iss-digipeater-issues.541614/#post-4021696

Thanks for watching and I hope we can make contact one day too.

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, John!

I also have that chart, with a little more information, in a PDF file available from AMSAT's Station and Operating Hints page:

http://www.amsat.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ISS_Packet_Operation_on_70cm-20161113.pdf

Depending on the radio, you may need to program the memory channels with the separate receive and transmit frequencies, or the receive frequency along with the size and direction of the transmit offset.

73!

5. K3RLD

trying again in 30 minutes. I've got it programed, so we'll see what happens.

6. KG4AKV

7. KG4AKV

Sure thing.

Ah, I saw that PDF posted on amsat-bb but had since forgotten it. Thanks for the reminder.

8. K3RLD

Sorry about that. If it makes you feel better, it was 19°F up here. Still having problems getting in. APRSDroid told me that one of my packets was received, yet no mention on ariss.net. Can't find you on there, either. I'm beginning to get that feeling that I have no clue what I'm doing.

9. KG4AKV

No reason to be sorry. It got me out there and I had fun making my first contact.

I'm sorry you didn't have success. I wouldn't worry about what ariss.net says. There aren't as many UHF igates as there were on VHF.

With that said There was one that I saw during the pass.

I didn't hear anything the last minute or two, not sure why, maybe I wasn't aiming right or the buildings nearby blocked my path to the ISS. So if you got in towards the end of the pass, that might be why I didn't hear you.

Another thing that could help is playing around on terrestrial packet on 144.39. See if you can get out on that and/or send messages.

10. K3RLD

Yeah, I've gotten through to terrestrial no problem. I'll check my log when I get home tonight and I'll be able to tell you the exact time of the "received" packet. I didn't even stop to think about the band igate issue, makes perfect sense.