Video: Inside Palstar AT5K & James Millen 92200 Antenna Tuners

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA0KA, Jan 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Friends:
    I wanted to share this side by side comparison of the two great tuners, thanks to Mike WZ5Q as well for my modification shown in the AT5K. I included some historical references to the tuner, or as much info as I could find as well as the schematic in the video. I did have a slip of the tong when saying fixed tapped 'roller' L1&L3, that was muscle memory on the Millen description it is not a 'roller'
    obviously;)
    ~Tyler, KA0KA

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to own a 92200 and the coil was indeed massive. Never had a problem with the bandswitch. The only reason I sold it was it did not have 160m capability.

I prefer switched inductor tuners with a heavy duty bandswitch (such as my current ATR-15) and my "T" match Hoimebrew ATU, which has a Series-L-Shunt C-Series L system that actually reduces harmonics. Most of the puny roller inductors cannot handle the circulating currents and crud up easily.

I have never owned a Palstar and probably never will. For the price Palstar should have used a much larger roller inductor with a better contact follower system.

Pheel

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Same even with heavy duty ones, like in BC transmitters. Typically, near the settings for resonance and coupling at the licensed frequency, settings which are rarely altered during normal operation, you will see signs of overheating or even burnt spots on the coils.

Overheating may also occur with fixed coil clips. It's not unusual to see clips soldered to the coil in applications where the tap position is likely to be permanent.