ad: Radclub22-1

VIC20 on a Microcontroller, DigiPi, ID52 Setup

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Feb 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

AmateurLogic 166: All This and Cheap Too
    Emile and Glen build the DigiPi Project.
    George explores Vic20 on an ESP32 microcontroller.
    Tommy's quick ID52A Setup guide.
    UK Rum Butter at Tea Time.
    www.amateurlogic.tv
    YouTube

MM7WAB, KE5QKR, K5MPH and 2 others like this.
  2. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

;)

KE5QKR and W5JDX like this.
  3. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Didn't know there were still some VIC20s floating around out there. That was my first computer, then I moved up to the Commodore 64, then the Commdore 128, then went to MSDOS after that.

Nice to know this old hardware can still be used all these years later.

W9JDW, N8MRB, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  4. N3SIP

N3SIP Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a tea cozy. After you make the tea you put it over the pot to keep it warm.
    Oops, replied too early. 73

W5JDX likes this.
  5. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Mine too. I took the same path minus the C128 - never had one of those. My favorite game on the VIC20 was Radar Rat Race; on the C64 I played Gunship. I also miss Compute! Magazine.

W5JDX, KB5IAV and M0HGL like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ran an AMTOR module on my Vic20 for some time..

KB2HSH, W5JDX and KB5IAV like this.
  7. M0HGL

M0HGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Also Omega Race :)

K7UL, W5JDX, KB5IAV and 2 others like this.
  8. KO2Q

AND...on my page here there's a pic of my shack circa 1993; I used a C64 with a MicroLog AIR-1 for RTTY, plus an MFJ-1274 for 2m packet radio.

Good times.

W5JDX and KB5IAV like this.
  9. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

It was fun typing in programs from Compute's Gazette, then trying to debug them when they didn't work. Before I had a disk drive, I stored programs on audio cassettes. I also had a noisy, dot matrix printer. Fun days.

N8MRB, KA1YBS, W5JDX and 1 other person like this.
  10. KO2Q

Me too! I started with a cassette drive and then upgraded to the 1541 disk drive. I thought I was a big deal with that floppy drive!

W5JDX and KB5IAV like this.
  11. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I started with a c64 and really loved it. Compute Gazette was great. I typed in a lot of those programs.
    I began learning computer programming because I needed to convert some basic radio engineering programs written for MS-DOS so I could run them on my c64. The basic languages were similar but different enough that it was necessary to understand what both were doing. Fun times indeed.

KO2Q likes this.
  12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have mine although it didn't work too well last time I had it powered up... Was my first computer also. I had a Kantronics board that turned the Vic-20 into a RTTY Terminal. I used to, among other things, access a 'bulletin board' system that was located some where in Tennessee if I'm not mistaken. It operated very much like an email system where, with right commands transmitted to it, you could leave and retrieve messages for/from other Ham friends.

Man, that seems like a long time ago now.... Well, I guess it really was a long time ago. Like 30+ years ago....

Dan WQ4G

W5JDX likes this.
  13. WE8TOM

WE8TOM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember typing in those programs (then modifying them) as a kid on our C64. I don't remember if it was that magazine or another one, but I spent several days worth of free time typing in a program that had a whole page of poke machine code data. It was labeled as a program that would format a disk in a more efficient way. It would give you more storage space and load much faster (remember the days of 2 minutes for something to load off of a "fast" floppy disk...no comment about the tape drive...). It had a strong warning to saying to type very carefully otherwise you could damage your drive. I finally got it all typed in and triple checked. I typed run..... I wasn't paying attention to the date of magazine and it being the April edition.. It ended up being a very evil april fools prank. I was so mad.

W5JDX and PY2NEA like this.
  14. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Neat.

I went through some boxes at my parent's house in December, and they had my old C64 and 1541 Disk Drive there. Those were the days!

W5JDX and KO2Q like this.
  15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh gosh! I hope you kept those. Might be difficult to check they still work, without a monitor?

W5JDX and KE0EYJ like this.