VHF/UHF Radio Mounting in a 2018 VW Atlas

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD2KUB, Mar 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2KUB

KD2KUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Morning everyone!

I would like to ask anyone around here if they have a VW Atlas they have mounted a Dual Band radio into? Where did you mount the radio and it's accompanying head unit? where did you run the power cable from your battery into the vehicle?

I may be installing my Kenwood VM-V71A into my VW Atlas today. Let me know what your thoughts are and how you did your installation.

2. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you make out installing your 2m/440 radio in the VW ATLAS...

I looked up you Atlas and that is a nice unit. I know what I would have done as I hate drilling holes on the outside and inside of the vehicle. I was able to do that on my F150 Truck with the only holes drill was on my bed rail... All inside items used VELRO... I installed my speakers in the drivers side door holder. This is a great spot for the speakers and doesn't bother the wife so much... The remote control mounted on a slip in board and velcroed in place in the center consol.

I see the V71 has a remote control group you can order separately… Looks like it had all you need...

I installed my 2m/440 antenna on the back of my rear door but I see all your doors open the same way … I guess I would come up with something on you top tie down rail and come inside thru the rear door rubber area...

Looks like you have several places in the rear of the VW to mount the radio main chassis and then route the control head cable up to your center console. I see one large area in your console but after looking at a few photos I see your 12V Socket and a couple other plugs are in the bottom of the open area. Don't know if you can work around that or not. I definitely would VELCRO the control panel in place... No drilling holes...

Again that is a nice vehicle you have and lots of room inside...

I ran a fused large cable directly from the battery area to my rear mounted main radio chassis... I grounded my radio to frame ground at the rear radio area.

Search for K9PHT an see some of my install photos...

Roy Ken K9PHT

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  3. KD2KUB

KD2KUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Afternoon Roy,

Looks like alot of what you mentioned I have done in about 3 vehicles so far, A Prius, F150 and now my Atlas. I will document more later but here are the highlights:

1. Disconnecting the battery is a must in order to get 2 fused connections onto the battery. Unfortunately the electronic ridden VW Atlas will reset it self causing a Christmas tree display on the dashboard. I learned the hard way that driving about 20 feet makes Christmas in March go away.
    2. This was really a no-drill solution. There is a hole with a rubber gasket already in the firewall on the passenger's side. This allows a coat hanger feeder to be shoved through and then a wire taped onto the end.
    3. Wire was hidden away under the plastic covers along the floor boards.
    4. Radio was installed in the back passengers side, on a piece of 1/2" shelf material in the shape of a trapezoid, which the cubby it now permanently sits. Wires are tucked in neatly under neath the cubby and are minimally hidden.
    5. I also installed a distribution panel that is fused. This will allow me to run stationary portable HF if I so desire.
    6. I installed some wire keepers that screw into the plastic in order to keep them secure. Velcro just doesn't seem to work on this no matter how much alcohol I use.

4. KD0LJE

KD0LJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have any pictures of the radio in your vehicle? I'd like to see where you put the wire through and placed the radio. I have a 21.5 Atlas Cross Sport and would like to run the wires similarly. Although the stuff is packed on a moving van so I have to wait a bit I want to have a plan in place when I get to my new place.

5. K6MKL

K6MKL Ham Member QRZ Page

I would also like to see the pictures, of the install in the Atlas, as my wife and I just bought a 2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport and am looking for a place to mount the head unit, run the wires and mount the base part.

My father-in-law suggested making a bracket to mount the "base" part in the same compartment as where the spare tire is (cut a piece of flat metal for the "base" bracket and for the screw that holds the spare tire down). Drill a hole in the flat metal plate so that the bolt that is holding the spare tire down can go thru it, and use the wing nut to hold the flat metal plate and spare tire down, with the "base" part of the radio mounted it also.

It doesn't appear that air can flow thru there, so I may need to drill a hole thru the plastic, under the 2nd row seats, to allow for venting and the wires to run forward and then down the side by the door. I haven't had much time yet to see how feasible this will be and if it will work.....it's just a thought.

Michael, K6MKL

6. K6MKL

K6MKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Stephen (KD0LJE),

I just finished the install of the Yaesu FTM-400XDR in our 2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport. I took some pictures during the install and am also putting together a list of all of the parts and where I got them from. Once I have that done, I will post it here. The "base" part did not get mounted where my father-in-law had initially suggested, as my brother and I found a different spot to mount it.

Michael, K6MKL

YD8IME likes this.