ad: cq2k-1

VHF/UHF on fiel day

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N1FMV, Jun 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I am thinking about putting a little more challenge into our field day operations. Given the state of the sun spot cycle is there any use for the higher bands? I am thinking about, in addition to our traditional HF stations, trying some work on 6m, 2m, and 70cm. What bands and modes do folks try on field day, USB, AM, etc? Also what frequencies are most likely to yield results? Thanks

Frank

2. KC7RAD

KC7RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of trying 6M FT8, CW & SSB this year. There was a big 6M opening a few days ago. You just never know when the "magic band" will open.
    I tried 2M SSB on FD a few years back and had fun operating some local stations.

Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised!

-Ken

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget other VHF-UHF operations, including 2m and 70cm FM (use vertical antennas) and satellites.

Making some SAT contacts yields bonus points (it used to be only "5" required, I haven't checked the rules lately) but if you want to work up a "big score," the bonus points are very valuable and the high-scoring stations (if you care) usually take advantage of all of them.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like fun.

Repeaters don't count.

Enjoy.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Repeaters don't count, but ARRL changed the rules a few years ago to allow using 146.52 MHz (for some years, that frequency was prohibited for contest contacts), and there are a few other popular simplex frequencies, too. Plus 223.50 and 446.00 are all popular on FD.

Depends where you operate and what antennas are used, but at "my" FD ops at CVARC years ago when I used to manage that operation, we operated from a very good hilltop and used good vertical VHF antennas on temporary towers and it was common to make 250 QSOs on VHF-FM simplex, adding to the score from HF operations. And since we always ran QRP on all bands, every such contact was 5 points.

"It all adds up..." but for those who don't care about the "score" and just want to keep the operators busy so they don't get bored, making 250 extra QSOs on VHF-UHF "phone" will keep them interested and not walking around looking for something to do. That's a big part of FD!:p

6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the day if 6M opened up it was real fun on SSB. Now days 95% of operations on 6M openings is on FT8 so
    if you have that mode it should be OK.

7. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

We always run 6m SSB, 2m SSB, 2m FM, and 70cm FM. I remember one year when 6 meters opened up good. For the first several hours of FD our VHF station had more contacts than our HF phone station. Park the radios on the SSB calling frequency or near abouts and see what you find. On FM 146.49, .52, and .55 are most popular on 2 meters. 446.000 on 70cm. Usually you ask the operator at the other end what other bands they have and arrange to meet on a different one. You don't usually just "find" people on 70cm FM simplex.