VHF FM during FD

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WB2WIK, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know what it was like elsewhere, but here in L.A., 146.52 simplex became so incredibly crowded that a dozen stations at a time were calling CQ FD over each other.

Hundreds and hundreds of contacts were made this weekend (actually, within 24 hours) and I made about 90, myself (on .52 simplex), just fooling around with a few mins here and there.

It was amazing. Evidently, thousands of hams are "equipped" for 2m FM and may not use it much; but this weekend, they did, thanks to FD. It was so crazy here, I'd announce my callsign "once" and get 4-5 calls.

Many were guys evidently using handhelds from "somewhere" as they were "1B" stations (battery operated). One guy was on Laguna Peak with a 2W handheld (75 miles from here) and rock solid, full quieting. One was using a handheld on Palomar Mountain, north of San Diego (about 100 miles from here), and ditto.

FD "brings out" people for sure, but I never expected this. It was nuts! But also quite fun, with the limited time I was on.

N3AWS and K9ASE like this.
  2. KW5ATF

KW5ATF Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s amazing! North of Houston was pretty bare on V/U. I got two on my VX-8.

3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard nothing on 2m FM. I had my HT (with Signal Stick antenna) on the entire hike from my car to operating location and back again. I heard a few scratchy calls on the way back today, but nothing I could positively identify as FD activity. I heard even less yesterday.

I didn't have the HT on while operating on HF, so maybe I missed a whole bunch without realizing it.

Chris

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A difference "here" might be very high population density and the availability of scores of good mountaintop locations, many of which are easy access (car) so it's not difficult to drive up to a 6000-8000' elevation site overlooking an area where 20 million people live and from those sites, work a lot of very "small" (like handheld/whip on the patio) stations.

Probably mostly the high population density. But V-U FM simplex was very crowded. The least used band, 135cm, was even crowded on 223.50 MHz simplex with stations "doubling" with each other. On 446.00, stations were taking turns to lessen the QRM but there was still quite a lot of "doubling."

5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the DC Metro area, so lack of population density isn't a factor. However, this area is also QRM central and it's entirely possible folks were yammering away and I just wasn't hearing them (was going up/down the hills of a watershed). The immediate area doesn't have any tall summits, but an hour west is the Blue Ridge Mtns and folks can use an HT up there to communicate as far east as MD (as I did a few weeks ago for SOTA).

I should have tried 70cm.

Chris

6. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

listened quite a few times but zip-all here on 652, although I did work a couple ft8's on 144.174
    pity, its kinda flat with rolling hills around here

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I made three 2m SSB contacts, and zero 2m FM contacts--and lot for lack of trying. Around here, 2m=repeaters for the vast majority of amateurs. I talked to two different guys this weekend who have been contesting and working field day for decades who did not even know that you could use VHF on field day.

If we say that 2 meters is only 'line-of-site' too many times, some start to actually believe it.

AI3V likes this.
  8. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a peep here. Heard that .52 was rather busy in Wichita.

9. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and after waisting a good amount of time looking for 2M activity (mixed with working HF), I suddenly remembered "the satellites"
    got in a couple good passes on the CAS4's and lots of folks on there
    definately a "DOH !" moment

10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :)

Rege