VHF DUAL BAND INSTALLATION IN HONDA PILOT (2019)

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N0FIM, May 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0FIM

N0FIM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to vhf in our hobby and would like to put a mobile dual-band transceiver in my 2019 Honda Pilot. My concerns include comments by many that installing an Anytone or other type of radio in newer cars can cause all types of interference with car electronics. I was just believing that by wiring directly to the battery via fuses, that there should be no problem. Any comments on this subject before I go further in reviewing radios?

2. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

GO FOR IT :)

I recommend a Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom

run the 12v DC thru the firewall

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet your new car has a battery management system. Do not connect directly to the battery, because you will fool that system.

Also, car batteries these days are relatively low capacity and not deep cycle, so unsuitable for extended medium loads such as transmitters.

There's a bunch more to think about for a mobile installation. Hopefully others will chime in here.

What do I do? Use a separate battery for the radio, secured by seat belts (!), charged via cigar lighter; Run the coax through the door jamb to a roof magmount.

4. WA2EIO

WA2EIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also try to route the antenna cable away from any computers in the vehicle. Problems can come from both the DC power line and the RF line. As K6CLS mentioned, battery capacity is more limited, and the common wisdom for most auto systems is to only connect the + terminal from the battery to the rig, since the negative terminal of the battery is (usually) connected to a sensor that is part of the battery monitoring system, and connecting the rig directly to the - terminal will bypass this sensor. Instead, use the closest good solid ground to the radio for the DC return.

N0FIM likes this.
  5. N0FIM

Thanks to all who responded. That gives me more information to ponder. It's not like the 60's, where we could just wire one in and go for it.......

6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It all depends upon the amount of effort and expense you want to incur, but I am a strong advocate for the auxiliary battery. An additional AGM or LifePo4 battery can charge off of the alternator when the car is running, and power your radio when the car is on or off without depleting your starter battery.

7. N0FIM

Thank you for your idea. I have everything installed now and will look into the LifePro4 option.

8. KI5PQC

KI5PQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2021 Honda Passport, I installed an ICOM 5100. I have it connected to the battery for the ground and the positive to a distribution block. The only noise over the radio is when a turn signal is on. However I replaced all the turn signal bulbs with ultra bright LED bulbs. That could be the source but I'm not sure, it really hasn't been an issue. My CB radio has alternator hum that I can not get to go away. It has an filter on the power source and the CB has it's own filter. I haven't had an issue with the car's electronics since installing the HAM. I did disconnect the box that sends counter frequencies into the car through the car's audio system to eliminate noise. Super easy to do, it did not like the CB, it thought it was outside noise. So I'm sure it would not like the HAM with the occasional repeater noises. Also it's really cheesy to send motor noises through the speakers at a higher rpm, so lame.

There is a grommet on the passenger side to the right of the fan motor assemble that I passed all the wires through.

9. KF0BXP

KF0BXP Ham Member QRZ Page

This right here would explain all the electrical problems i've been having in my pickup. I'm oging to go buy a deep cycle battery today and use that instead of my main starting battery.