VHF 1/2 watt Minimum Distance

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4EGA, Oct 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me see if I can make this question make sense:

A buddy and I (he is also a licensed ham nerd too) like to go camping a lot and normally he has his Jeep and HT as well as I. Talking on 2 meters on minimum power and the trips are great.

Recently I have been taking an old '63 CJ and we bomb around the National Forest fire trails just in the CJ. Fun as heck but fairly loud and we have to basically yell at each other for a few hours.

I have recently considered getting a vehicle intercom system but the ready built systems are expensive and the aviation systems are kind of patchwork.

So here is my question: With his HT at 1/2 watt and rubber duck and my HT at 1/2 watt and rubber duck, what is the minimum distance we can talk without overloading the receivers? I figure that both of our radios will be on the door sides so about 5 feet from each other.

I know that this is not a typical scenario for ham radio but it does seem like a viable solution.

And perhaps, could you run a coax from each one and have it run though some sort of attenuation device? This sounds redneck as heck but again, just looking for a solution to work with the equipment we currently have. I know something like this exists for testing.

Thoughts?

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If both radios are on the same simplex frequency receiver overload will not be a problem even if the HTs are a few inches apart on high power.

3. N4EGA

Really? I have always been under the assumption that if you are within talking distance, like a few feet, you would cause the receiver portion to cry uncle. If this is not the case, then this great news. Thanks for the answer.

4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the other handheld is trying to listen on a different frequency than you're transmitting on, as in using a repeater, then yes, some receiver desensitization is common. If you're on the same frequency, the same AGC mechanism that causes that desense will also attenuate those signals on the same frequency, and that's your friend for close in work.

AG6QR likes this.
  5. N4EGA

Today I learn! Thanks for the info. Yall just made a system upgrade not needed. 73 dudes!

6. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had 2 meter simplex conversations involving 2 automobiles with 10 watt transceivers parked side-by-side with no problems.

AK5B likes this.
  7. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a dummy load on each one?
    Mike N3PM

8. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What happened when you tried it?

9. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

The radios will work just fine.
    Consider a MUFFLER for the Jeep ?

10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Muffler's not the problem. Jeeps have zero sound insulation. You're getting, exhaust, engine, tire, possible wind noises all at the same time.

AK5B likes this.