VFO for use with Pixie, Frog Sounds, and such?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KA5NLY, Feb 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have some of these little crystal controlled QRP rigs and have wondered if ther is a VFO commercially available or a DIY circuit for a VFO which can be used with them. Somewhere in all of my junque or storage unit I have an old Heathkit VF-1 which might be adapted for use (in conjunction with a frequency counter), but it needs about 300 volts to operate and likely pumps out too many volts into the crystal socket.

So, a nice solid state VFO with frequency readout (commercial of DIY) might be what I need to buy, beg, borrow, steal, or build.

Will those tiny rigs work with a VFO? Any suggestions?

EuGene

2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Potentially but not worth it. The receivers are such poor quality that you're better off building something with a good front end and better selectivity and adding the VFO to that. And some more tx power (eg >2w) would be handy also.

3. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I either like a challenge or I am a glutton for punishment. Actually I have other rigs with more than 2 watts out, which is fine with me (as long as it isn't over 5 watts!).

As for receiving, I do have a Yaesu FR-101 receiver somewhere in all on my boxes of stuff...when the weather warms up enough I will go through my storage unit and dig it out. In the meantime I will be assembling some CW transmitters of various outputs from 100 milliwatts to something up to just south of 5 watts.

I agree with you that I need to build something with a better front end and will do so if I find a better circuit than the de minimis circuits of the Pixie et al. Hmmm? Maybe a simple circuit with a Q multiplier front end and some good audio filtering? Gotta play with it some, though I am no designer, just an appliance operator.

EuGene
    KA5NLY