ad: k1jek

Veterans Weekend Blowout on USS Hornet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB6SSN, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB6SSN

KB6SSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Veterans day is just around the corner! And we here on the USS Hornet are planning our biggest event yet! More radios on more frequencies using more modes! By Veterans Day weekend we will have completed the installation of our second Operators Position! That means twice the Opportunity to work Hornet! And, this time we will be working CW as well as SSB! The dates are Nov. 9th, 10th and 11th. The SSB Frequencies will be 7.240, 14.320, 21.320 and 28.320. +/- ORM & QRN of course. The CW frequencies have yet to be determined but I will post the here as soon as we come to an agreement on which ones we’ll use. Operating hours will be from 0900 to 1700 Pacific. Also, we have just received a large donation of 2 Meter equipment! We will have that up and running very soon! This should give us some local coverage as well as coverage of some of the “Newer Modes” that are available! We’ll keep you posted as to our progress! We look forward to working you as we honor our Veterans! Please join us in this celebration!

Also, we will soon begin broadcasting informational bulletins via RTTY. Stay tuned for the frequencies for that. And, we will begin broadcasting CW code practice on 80 meters in the near future. Both will provide not only information and code practice for Hams and SWLers but will also provide another unique QSL opportunity!

Tom Hale
    KB6SSN
    President Pro-Tem
    USS Hornet ARC

2. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job, Keep up the excellent effort.

3. N3BZA

N3BZA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll keep my ears open to work ya!

N3BZA
    Ft. Bragg, NC

4. KB3XY

KB3XY Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom Hale kb6ssn Uss Hornet Arc. Hey guys I will be listening in from The Dalles, Oregon and trying to work you. I was on USS MIDWAY. I remember the Hornet tied up in San Diego in the 50's off Shelter Island. What a lady. Cheers and good luck. Jon R. Benson kb3xy
    kb3xy@skyride.net

5. KD7PFC

KD7PFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello UUS HORNT,

Is their going to be IRLP on the UUS HORNT?

If you are going to do IRLP you may won't to try the node number 841.
    It's closer than plansprings.

If you do IRLP what will be the call or do you won't to call UUS HORNT UUS HORNT DE HOME CALL?

If poseable  can please post the node number on the 8th?

Thomas KD7PFC [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom and the Hornet,
    Impressive Wireless Room, I must say! I'll be looking for you Saturday Morning from W6RO. Good luck, and have fun!

Larry WA9SVD

7. KB6SSN

We have finalized what frequencies we will be using for CW. 3.530, 7.030, 14.030, 21.030 and 28.030.

As for IRLP, we have attempted to contact local nodes from Hornet for two days during our last event. These attempts were unsuccessful. Perhaps we will be successful once our new 2 Meter gear is installed.

Larry, I hate to burst your bubble, but all of those transmitters are boat anchors! They were de-mil’d in a most aggressive manner. All PCB components were removed with a blowtorch. While they look good from the front, years of work are needed to bring them back online.

Jon, Neil and others, We’ll be looking for you! [​IMG]

8. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the room on her! Beats the subs I worked on hands down and brings back memories. TNX

9. KR6MR

KR6MR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I grew up in San Francisco.  I was a Sea Scout and ended up working at Hunters Point after Graduation in 1964.  Most of that time was on the Hornet and some time on the Ranger.  After the summer in the 'yard' I joined the Air Force.  Gave them 21 years of misery!!!  Back in my home turf.  The Hornet is a great ship.  Have visited her on a few ocasions.  Hope to go back soon and get into her bowels.  Will be looking for her on the air this weekend.

73's KR6MR  John Larribeau [​IMG]  [​IMG]

10. KB6SSN

After some consideration we have decided to move the 40 Meter frequency for the USS Hornet Veterans Day Weekend to 7.230. It has been brought to our attention that there is an awful lot of scheduled traffic during the weekend on 7.240. Hope fully this will allow us to all coexist on 40 Meters! [​IMG]

Also, for all of you who have been patiently waiting for your QSL Cards, we began shipping them today! WOO HOO! [​IMG] You should be receiving yours very soon! The complete QSL Packages should go out next week. We are waiting for a resupply on the shoulder patches. As soon as they arrive, out they go! We had considered shipping these packages with some lesser shoulder patches. But we figured nothing was too good for the friends of the Hornet! The shoulder patches that are on the way are exceptional! Very large and colorful! Believe me, you won't be disappointed! Thank you for your patience as we worked all of the bugs out of this procedure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.