ad: elecraft

Veteran Ham's Final Wishes Fulfilled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Dec 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0QGS

W0QGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Would love to share this in our Clubs newsletter for January 2018. Who do I contact for permission?

2. KK6HUY

KK6HUY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so happy to be able to tell you that you are 100% wrong. When you're trying to string up improvised SATCOM antennas while you hear bullets smacking off objects around you, you can come out and join the party and tell me and my boys that what we're doing isn't "real radio opps". If you live we'll even give you a ride home.

KE0EYJ and AF4RK like this.
  3. N1ZIH

N1ZIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your service Great story another example of what ham radio is all about hats off to all who made this possible 73
    Don N1ZIH

4. N8TUW

N8TUW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only a true American
    But a true ham

5. PY2YD

PY2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonderful history. Shows like ham radio activities can help people whatever situation they are, and make them happier!

6. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great story!!

7. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WHADDA STORY & HEART-WARMING AS WELL!!! Goes to prove "HAMS DO HELP OTHER HAMS WHETHER IN NEED OR NOT!!!
    BRAVO!!!

8. VE5RH

VE5RH QRZ Lifetime Member #257 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Awesome story,HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND A WONDERFULL 2018 TO ALL,LET'S ALL REMEMBER TO SUPPORT OUR TROOPS! VE5RH -CANADA

9. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great story.
    I would bet that there are numerous hams in their last years at nursing homes that could get quite lift if someone
    would get them back on the air.

K3LRH likes this.
  10. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story. Glad to see he was on the air!

11. VE3MFA

VE3MFA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is 73 not 73's
    73'
    John

12. K3LRH

K3LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

About ten years ago I heard an old timer ham calling CQ on 40M. His voice was very weak and shaky and no one was coming back to him. But he did not give up. After about 5 minutes of calling CQ, I decided to see if I could get back to him. Being a relatively new ham myself, my voice was probably more shaky than his was. Well, it turned out that he was truly an old timer...at 105 y.o.! He had his station set up in his nursing home room somewhere in Ohio with the antenna wire strung around inside the room. We had a brief contact, but a very memorable one for me. I will never forget that QSO with the old timer named "Doc". In this hobby, there are probably several "Docs" out there who are wishing to make one more contact. Doc, I hope you read this. 73

13. W5HWU

W5HWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful story. Thank you for posting it.

Thank you for your dedicated service, Sarge. Sorry I did not get the opportunity to meet you while in Lake County.

The James A. Lovell Fed. Health Care Center is one of the most modern, well equipped and well staffed hospitals in the VA system. John is in good hands. I was an outpatient there until from 2001 to 2012.

Best wishes to John, his family, the local amateur radio community and the great staff at the hospital.
    Cecil Chaudoir, W5HWU (age 79)

14. KC8HFO

KC8HFO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great story.I have been a ham since 1995.This is wonderful.I would have loved to have talked to him on the air.
    God bless him.
    KC8 HFO David Shanklin. 73s

15. DO6RLH

DO6RLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story, thank you for posting!