Very simple Groundplane antenna tutorial

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KK6ZEY, Sep 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6ZEY

KK6ZEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Build a durable and compact 2 meter groundplane antenna from few parts. After uploading the video, I chatted with some other hams, and they reported that my audio was crystal clear.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This design is expandable to any HF frequency as well. K8CH did a really nice article on the wire ground plane a while back.

3. KK6ZEY

KK6ZEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, great Idea, I should give that a try. I made this one out of welding rods

4. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wire coat hangers...

5. AC8UN

AC8UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Made mine from 14 gauge house wire.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Scaled up GP
    I made a 40M GP antenna that I stuck on a 3' tripod on the house roof. The main vertical 33' element was made from parts of a big Yagi that fell off a tower. (Not mine)
    The 3 ground radials were # 14 wire that laid on the roof and a bit over the side.
    BEST 40M DX I ever worked (ZL) was worked the night after I put this up ! With 120 W on CW !

7. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent and well made video! The part where you soldered that center pin with an iron killed me though. Get thee a small torch! Even one of the $3.99 Harbor Freight butane torches will do that job well and allow you to solder not only the center pin but the radials (with screws like you have, and after filing the connector surface) as well for more durability.

8. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't watch all of the construction part because couldn't stand the QRM from that loud "music" (actually just some sort of rhythm generator).

I did an EZNEC analysis of my last 2 meter ground plane, which I placed at 35 ft height, and found that with the right length of mast or feedline I could lose up to 6 dB gain because of common mode currents on the feedline. Four radials is not enough to reduce those current to negligible. My solution was to add 4 more radials 1/4 wavelength below the first 4 so that I don't have to worry about feedline and mast lengths.

Jerry, K4SAV

W0GSQ likes this.
  9. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That was done in the distant past commercially with some of the Kresco brand antennas too.

10. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

AEA Isopole had that concept too (two decoupling sets 1/4 wave apart), right?