Very Noisy vintage Transceiver, but only cost me $125- What Now?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is all the band noise in old transceivers without DNR. An amazing noise reduction speaker is the Clear Speech products. The built-in DNR is almost as good as my Yaesu newly improved DNR that came in transceivers in the last few years. The Clear Speech are expensive new at $229, so buy used for around $99 and never look back. I guarantee you will be floored with the performance!

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gee, I didn't know there was a noise problem with all my radios. Huh.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. N8FVJ

So, you hear no difference with or without DNR on voice. Congrats, you must have the most quiet location on the planet. Others suffer with S9 or even higher band noise.

4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a severe noise problem in all my ham radios: All I hear is people talking! What can be done about this? Down at the bottom of the ham radio bands, I can still noise, but this noise sounds like weird beeping and booping and other science fiction like stuff!

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

But what?

Advice anyone?

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. There is no existing problem for radios without DSP/NR. [grammar]
    2. In my experience, a little bit of DSP/NR can take the edge off the static and some minor interference. However, beyond a small amount, the DSP/NR begins to distort the signal, and if used while searching, can make it easy to miss weak signals.

Maybe someday DSP/NR will be able to eliminate all atmospheric noise and make HF as quiet as an FM repeater. However, I think there are more than a few newer operators who just don't appreciate HF listening and think that static is "bad".

Other alternative and effective control functions to improve listening comfort include:
    1. Proper filter selection
    2. Adjusting Passband width
    3. AGC level
    4. Reducing RF GAIN to the noise floor so the signal is left rising just above it.
    5. Notch Filter width and adjustment.
    6. Using Noise Blanker, only when appropriate for repetitive noise, otherwise it can create more internal interference triggered by adjacent strong signals.

Finally: Some ops will turn on a radio and go hours without making a single adjustment to the suite of controls available to them which could improve their effectiveness and comfort. Others play the controls like a grand piano to meet constantly changing conditions. bill

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    N0TZU likes this.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait til Sunday afternoon, after Field Day is done, and all will be quiet again.

7. N8FVJ

Not only do I totally disagree with your statements, a quality DNR only mildly affects the audio and consider it is at many times the difference in-between a copy and no copy. Ham radio is not a high-end stereo system for music. So, with the incredible newer DNR including the Clear Speech units, it is not worthy of you to talk others out of using the Clear Speech DNR when they have no idea of what they are missing. The Clear Speech DNR is nothing like the older DNR units- MFJ comes to mind.
    Folks, pay no attention to this reply from KAOHCP.

8. N8FVJ

This demo will dismiss KA0HCP claims DNR does not work and distorts audio. In fact, the audio is more clear and less distorted with DNR. And, this demo does not have a lot of noise on the band. Very noisy bands and weak signals will appear where as not even heard on noisy bands with out the Clear Speech DNR.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019