ad: M2Ant-1

very bright "LED" - as seen on TV...

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AA7EJ, Oct 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, for $19.95 you can get two ... order now operators are standing-by , or used to...

These are flat super bight light producing devices and I would venture they are no plain old LED's.
    What are they, what is the technology??
    Obviously visible light, but what spectrum?
    Are they power hungry , relatively to size?
    I am not going to ask who makes them.... ( B? )

73 Shirley

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't watch tv as a rule so have not seen said LED commercial---but I have recently discovered 500 lumen 12VDC LED bulbs available at Walmart (3 for about $10) that are very bright, outdoor/indoor rated and consume 8 watts apiece. I also discovered an easy way to connect them using Gardner-Bender push-on terminal connectors---so I have been making up sets of auxiliary lights for my bicycle, motor scooter and tabletop photography lighting (diffused by a small DIY light tent). All anyone needs is the bulbs, wire and a 12v source and a bit of ingenuity when it comes to mounting them (3M Lok or Velcro works). I power my bicycle lighting with a 3ah LiFePo4 battery that can last a lot longer than I care to ride on one charge, too.

I am about to make up one more set for my lapidary grinding wheels so I can see my work even better than before. I am so happy I found these bright and inexpensive LED bulbs (they are in the same shape as a lot of old slide projectors or that home track lighting uses).

No idea on most of your other questions but I suspect they are very efficient---those little 8 watt jobs light up the street more like 80-watt incandescents!

Jeff

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They are LEBs

4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

???

Light-emitting bees?

K9ASE and N8EKT like this.
  5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not keen on white LED lighting from China - especially for household an workbench use. You have no way of knowing if the UV is filtered out or not -- and could be accelerating cataract growth.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of ultrabright "white spectrum" LEDs around.

I think the best ones are made by CREE (NASDAQ: CREE), who has been a leader in this for many years now. They can be built into thousands of different products including overhead lighting, automobile lamps, ultrabright flashlights and everything else.

7. KA5GEX

KA5GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was road bicycling quite a bit, I rode at night during the week after work when we lost daylight saving time. I had some crazy bright LED headlights, ones that I could not outrun. As I recall, one of the brand names tossed around for LEDs was Cree. Cree manufactures the "bulbs", and other companies, such as Cygolite, use them to assemble cycling lights (front and rear). The really good cycling lights are not cheap, like the flashlights "as seen on TV". As I recall, most use lithium ion batteries. I ran two headlights, a 900 lumen on the handlebar and a 250 lumen on my helmet. Mostly I ran them on low or medium power to keep from blinding oncoming traffic and to maintain battery life. Running them at full power would draw down batteries after 2 hours, give or take a little.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to say Cree also... I think they're the front runners. I also believe they sell the 'seconds' to the companies that build them into those bright flashlights... the ones that turn yellow after they've been on for a few minutes.

9. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you stack two LED lights, do you get 3DB more light? ; )

KK5JY and NH7RO like this.
  10. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page