ad: Alphaant-1

Verticals! Hustler 6BTV Vs. Zero5 33ft 10-80

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5RGK, Sep 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe what you are describing is a DX Commander.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, indeed the DX Commander is a commercialized version of the "fan vertical" concept offered by M0MCX. Here is a link to the 80m capable model.

Recently there have been threads on QRZ News that also discussed the DX Commander (Link 1) including building a HB knockoff (Link 2).

"Homebrewing" can usually be the lowest cost, however the price for a kit from M0MCX seems quite reasonable even with currency exchange and shipping from the UK. Worthy of consideration if the OP @KI5RGK is shy of attempting a HB from scratch project.

W4HMB likes this.
  3. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I checked out your page. The "lightning capital" is surly correct! I lived in Port Saint Lucie for nearly ten years and had a 25ft tower with Moseley tri band, a 36ft with quad, a 41 ft vertical and three vhf/uhf beams on a 40ft pole, and a few dipoles. All my antennas and the house were grounded together using 2awg wire and I never had lightning issues. I had my 36ft sailboat in the marina down in LaBelle and it had an inverted V on the mast, fore and rear mast stays and never had lightning issues though one boat a few slips away got a direct strike. I never left radio in the boat when I wasn't aboard due to that issue and the humidity.
    I like your pet.

W0PV likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a fun project, have you tried adding a capacity hat (halo) to see if it improves loading?

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the damnable autocorrect that trips me up. Gotta love internet enabled cell phones.

1 person likes this.
  6. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not an antenna expert, but I have a lot of experience with the Hustler vertical antennas and have used them with and without radials. Always ground mounted because that was easiest for me. The 4BTV was my first antenna, I used it ground mounted without radials because of where it was on the property line didn't give much room for radials, and this was my childhood home while in high school so my say in things was limited. I had fun with it, sure it was a compromise but ~4000 Q's over a couple of years isn't too shabby for a high school kid with a 4BTV and IC-718.

I later had a 4BTV up at my friends house with 20 20ft radials, and did okay in a couple of contests, but that was a temporary install while I was house sitting for him. The hustler can be put up in an afternoon, and in my case the radials were just laid above ground with just enough yard staples to keep them down. Tuning isn't hard, just have two people so someone is at the antenna and someone is at the analyzer.

I used a 4BTV up at my mother-in-laws place in deep South Texas near the gulf of Mexico with short radials, it was a compromise but again I had fun. The antenna is still standing, I figure I will keep it up and if we are visiting during a contest weekend I can sneak to the patio and make a few Q's with my KX2.

Currently I have a 6BTV with 40 33ft radials, it is pretty solid most days on 20, 30 and 40, IMHO. I thought about getting a 43ft vertical and tuner, but I am happy with the Hustler, it allows me to make contacts and have fun and it was easy to get up, the radials took awhile for a permanent install but well worth it if you can.

You can add additional bands to the 6BTV if you are so inclined as well, though my plan is to get up an 80M vee at some point, I will wait till I have 5BDXCC and 5BWAS and Triple Play before I worry about 160.

7. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Adding 160 to the 6BTV is very easy to do and works very well

KJ5T likes this.
  8. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

You should "guide" it either with a dog or a person. Don't want to walk into a moving bus while carrying it.

9. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

10. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did someone say a little guydance?

[​IMG]

I like the spotter on the right.

NL7W and N3AB like this.