Verticals! Hustler 6BTV Vs. Zero5 33ft 10-80

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5RGK, Sep 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL2WX

KL2WX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I were going to do a multi band vertical I think I’d do the DX Commander. I have 2 for portable use.

2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using the 6BTV for years. I added a home brew 160 mod in addition to the 12 and 17 meter add on kits. If you look at my QRZ page you'll get an idea of how well the 6BTV performs. It's an outstanding antenna , easy to maintain and very reasonably priced.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

G U Y E D, not “guided”.

While most antennas are likely to not suffer damage, guyed verticals are always the safest option.

WZ7U and (deleted member) like this.
  4. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys are the most pedantic bunch of people I have seen LOL.

OK...I typed it in wrong...it is guyed...get over it.

it was a typo.

N1IPU likes this.
  5. K1VSK

Multiple repetitive typos???

It’s a communications hobby.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's that Red Deer prophecy again.

7. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys (or is it guides? LOL) seriously crack me up.

W4HMB likes this.
  8. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the manufacturers do admit that a radial field "will help." lol Good of them to admit that. I agree with you on the Zero5 comment. AND, they, to me, a way over priced but I suppose they need to recoup some development costs.....

I buy a lot of "antenna parts" on ebay. Over several years I accumulated enough tubing to put together four (at least) 43' verticals. Mostly, they were different BTV's. I got the tubing, coils, loading wires, clamps (whatever) and capacitors. One that I am working on is a 68 footer with three loading coils in line at the base and with taps for four freqs plus I'm putting an MFJ remote antenna switch at the base and will feed it with a single coax. May have to add a wire stinger at the top for top band. I hope to get 160, 75 and 40, mainly, plus whatever else I can squeeze from it. Mostly, I like single band antennas so this is an experiment.

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. K1VSK

That a good guide to the proper use of guys. I wonder how many times “typo” has been used as an excuse for lack of proofreading?