ad: chuckmartin

Verticals! Hustler 6BTV Vs. Zero5 33ft 10-80

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5RGK, Sep 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

WA8FOZ likes this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N1FM: " Hustler 6BTV = $240 ? True quarter wave on each band, good for DX. "

How is this 24 foot high antenna a " True quarter wave " on 40 and 80 meters with respective quarter wave lengths of close to 33 and 66 feet ?
    It 'simulates' a quarter wave might be more accurate.

The radiation efficiency of a 43' or 33' vertical with a tuner at the base will far exceed that of that trapped shorter antenna.

A good presentation on the topic.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Presentations/Vertical43RevA.pdf

3. KI5RGK

KI5RGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I have considered a 43ft, and as much as I would love to have one of those in my yard, I think that height may be pushing it with the neighbors. I live in a fairly new housing development with houses very close to one another and a 43ft antenna would probably stick out like a sore thumb.

4. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love my 6BTV. FWIW. :)

5. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have use the 5BTV before (a fore runner tothe 6btv), without being guyed, and have had good luck with them. I now use a Butternut HF9V, ground mounted with about 20 radials. They reccomend guying the HF9V also, but without them mine was dancing in a circle last year when the derehco came Iowa, it is still standing and working well.

I don't see the need for tilt over, even though the HF9V is much more complicated to tune than the 6BTV. An analyzer is a great help. For the price of the Zero 5, I'd get the HF9V instead.

If money was not an object, I would invest in a hi-tower. Stub tuned, no traps, no tuner, great antenna.

Rather than the Zero 5 , why not put up an inverted L, and use the tuner and radials that you will need for the Zero 5 with it. The secret to most 1/4 wave verticals is a proper radial installation. Some say it will work without them, and it might, but not efficently, or well.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

6. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you guide it? The antenna is light enough that one person should be able to carry it to the location where it will be installed

KI5AAI likes this.
  7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What sizes are the property lots? 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or 1 acre? I use a 43 ft ground mounted vertical on 80/40 meters with good results. None of my neighbors ever complained about my antennas in the 36 years i have lived here.

8. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Each section in a 6BTV is a tuned electrical quarter wave length, not a physical quarter wavelength, obviously, that's why it has traps. An antenna's effective electrical length can be changed without changing its physical length by adding reactance, (inductance or capacitance) in series with it. This is called lumped-impedance matching or loading. After we load for electrical quarter wavelength, then we have to examine take-off angle as a function of purpose. A quarter wave (electrical or physical) has a very useful, e.g., lower, take-off angle for DX. That's what makes it a good DX antenna. You don't need a tuner, and you don't need to guess at the losses in a Brand X Unun and a tuner.

What is the take-off angle for a base fed 43' antenna on 10 meters?

[​IMG]

43' antenna: peak radiation angles and relative antenna gain.

~ 5 dBi @ 57° for 10 meters – high angle
    ~ 4 dbi @ 37° for 15 meters - high angle
    ~ 1 dBi @ 16° for 20 meters – nice low angle
    ~ 0 dBi @ 25° for 40 meters - functional
    ~ -2 dBi @ 29° for 80 meters – functional
    ~ -8 dBi @ 23° for 160 meters – lossy, but it does work

Several things are apparent:

The antenna has “better than nothing at all” performance on 160 meters.

Low gain is apparent for 80 through 20 meters.

The 15 meter band shows some actual gain, but at a high angle of about 30-40 degrees.

Has unity gain at lower angles.

The 10 meter band, the black trace marked as Primary, shows peak energy well above 45 degrees elevation.
    Less than desirable for DX. Might be good for a local ragchew out to 20-30 miles.

W4NNF likes this.
  9. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can elevate the radials you won't need as many as long as a couple are cut for 1/4-wave for each band you operate. I had a 6BTV on the roof of a house with elevated radials and it worked great with just a couple radials for each band. Noisy in the middle of the city though.

1 person likes this.
  10. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Noisy for sure, and man-made noise is usually vertically polarized. That's the only major drawback. Noiser than a dipole, but better for DX due to the low angle.

By Tom Rauch,W8JI
    Topband Antenna mail list, October 31, 2000

"The reasons local noise sources are predominately vertically polarized are because horizontally polarized signals are radiated and received at high angles by most "antennas" (intentional or accidental antennas) because of their low height. Besides that, any horizontal content of the signal is attenuated more than vertical components as it propagates along earth. Bottom line is nothing makes it along the earth on groundwave any distance on low frequencies because the earth "shorts out" any horizontal electric fields, and of course when the time-varying electric field goes to zero so does the accompanying magnetic field. You can't have one without the other.

The problem with low antennas that are truly horizontally polarized is they only radiate at higher angles, and that almost always isn't good for DX."