Verticals! Hustler 6BTV Vs. Zero5 33ft 10-80

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5RGK, Sep 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI5RGK

KI5RGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,
    I recently had a post going on the technical forums regarding some end-fed antennas, but ended up talking more about verticals as a better solution for my small backyard and figured I would make a new post.

So I want to take somewhat of a poll for those of you who have some experience in using the Hustler 6BTV or the Zero5 33ft 10-80m antenna. Which one would you suggest, and why? Thanks!

2. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Zero5 = $439, a 33 foot tube with an unun at the base.
    What's the take-off angle on each band?
    What's the loss in the unun?
    Need a tuner?

Hustler 6BTV = $240 ? True quarter wave on each band, good for DX.
    6 Bands on 10-80 meters, but 80 will be a narrow 40 KHz.
    No tuner needed. Set-up and forget. Good reputation.
    Call manufacturer New-tronics-Hustler TOLL FREE SALES by phone at: 877-994-9499
    Compare with DX Engineering and HRO.

Read this thread:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/hustler-6btv-vertical-antenna-advice-opionions.776598/

NL7W, UT7UX, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

6btv
    It's clean, low profile, and works really well - I've worked 242 DXCC entities with my 6btv in the last 4 years and WAS a few times over... as @N1FM stated, once set up and tuned, it doesnt require a tuner which makes remote operation - or any operation - very efficient.

UT7UX, KA4DPO, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hustler all the way. Very well made...easy to get it on 160 too.

Just MAKE sure you can lay out a radial field. These only need to be as long as you can make them, but you need at least 32.

UT7UX, KA4DPO and (deleted member) like this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6BTV. Good value.

1 person likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6BTV is a good value, but the Zero-Five, properly installed, is self-supporting even in high winds.

The BTV really isn't, and should be guyed with lightweight ropes up around the 20m trap to prevent it from becoming a pair of 3BTVs if you are exposed to high winds. Hustler does recommend that, and it's a good recommendation.

The Zero-Five is naturally resonant on 40m and should be a better performer on 40m than the 6BTV is (although the difference may be pretty small). But on 20m, it's voltage-fed and a huge mismatch for coax. No single Unun can possibly cover such a wide range of impedances (from ~30 Ohms to >2000 Ohms) in one device, so a remote tuner for that is a really good idea.

1 person likes this.
  7. KI5RGK

Thanks for giving your input! You make some good points about there not being much info on the Zero5 as far as losses go and needing a tuner. As far as pricing goes, the Zero5 does come with a tilt base for the $439, whereas the 6BTV only comes with the tilt base in the $570 kit. However, as you stated, a good tuner would still be needed for the Zero5 so its still somewhat comparable.

1 person likes this.
  8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

6BTV.... Set it & work the world.
    Or at least a good part of the world....
    It's cheap, reliable & should handle any amp you could throw at it, legally, that is.

Ed

1 person likes this.
  9. KI5RGK

Thank you everyone for giving me your honest opinion! Greatly appreciated! So far it is looking like the 6BTV is winning by a landslide. This was actually my first choice when I started looking into an antenna, but then my head started spinning from all of the options. When I finally went back to DX Engineering to make a purchase for the 6BTV with the Omn-tilt kit, of course they were sold out until 10/21, which is why I started to look at the Zero5.

1 person likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the tilt kit for? Do you plan to lay the antenna down when not in use?

WA4SIX and (deleted member) like this.