ad: AlphaRF-1

Vertical trap re-build - sealants

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W3NJ, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3NJ

W3NJ Guest

Hello,
    I'm re-building a multi-band HF trap vertical that has 2 damaged traps due to wind snapping the fiberglass coil forms. I've replaced the coil forms and have re-wound the traps (10 gauge wire) . The fiberglass fits inside the aluminum tubing and the maker originally used some very strong epoxy/glue to bond the fiberglass to the aluminum. I'd like to know what's recommended to achieve this same strength on the replacement. Also ,the original traps had heatshrink, which I'll be replacing (ordered some from Mouser this weekend...a bit late, but any cautions on this for outdoor use/UV resistance?). Wondering if I need to treat the heatshrink-to-aluminum contact area with any type of sealer.

Any pointers on outdoor epoxies, glues, or sealants is appreciated! ( I do have some Gorilla Glue if anyone has inputs on using/not using it or Gorilla Epoxy)

tnx es 73!

Bruce - W3NJ

2. N3JJB

N3JJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd try 3M 5200. It's an adhesive/sealant. Any marine store will have it. It has a little elasticity to it which can be important when attaching two different materials that will expand and contract at two different rates. They glue boats together with this stuff, it's strong.
    Terry

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. W3NJ

W3NJ Guest

Thanks Terry for the recommendation. I'll ahve to stop by the local marine store or see if Lowe's/Home Depot carry it.

Bruce - W3NJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.